Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Victory 2009 Model Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/9018-victory-2009-model-preview.html)

Administrator 07-28-2008 01:29 PM

Victory 2009 Model Preview

Original Article:
Victory 2009 Model Preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Victory 2009 Model Preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

anrajala 07-28-2008 01:44 PM

>The ’09 Freedom powertrain will produce 97 hp and 113 ft-lbs
>with the addition of Stage 2 Cams to this years base engine
>and a little mid-west heart and soul. That’s a reported 14%
>increase over last year’s Freedom engine.

I start to like these guys. They are pushing. When they came around the first time they were like the non-brand, similar spec copy of the original.

I remember those times dearly, me sipping Ron Anniversario Pampero in the satin smooth Venezuelan nights and giving longride valuable advice about the basics of the motorcycling.

However it was clear from then that these guys, and the E-H guys, would not fly with the more-of-the-same school of thought. As these ex-idiots then thought. But what is this 10-year talk anyways? Would HD be saying they see at least 10 years more life in motorcycles?

- cruiz-euro

seruzawa 07-28-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrajala (Post 190106)
>The ’09 Freedom powertrain will produce 97 hp and 113 ft-lbs
>with the addition of Stage 2 Cams to this years base engine
>and a little mid-west heart and soul. That’s a reported 14%
>increase over last year’s Freedom engine.

I start to like these guys. They are pushing. When they came around the first time they were like the non-brand, similar spec copy of the original.

I remember those times dearly, me sipping Ron Anniversario Pampero in the satin smooth Venezuelan nights and giving longride valuable advice about the basics of the motorcycling.

However it was clear from then that these guys, and the E-H guys, would not fly with the more-of-the-same school of thought. As these ex-idiots then thought. But what is this 10-year talk anyways? Would HD be saying they see at least 10 years more life in motorcycles?

- cruiz-euro

Maybe Victory will soon break the coveted "3% of HD units sold" barrier.

Personally I'd rather see these companies put some attention on reducing the weight of these things. That'd gain at least as much performance as HP increases. At least get them under 600 pounds.

mscuddy 07-28-2008 03:37 PM

And why does a new American motorcycle manufacturer has to concentrate on HD like choppers & cruisers? Why can't they build standard bikes? Bikes with vertical twin motors? Dirt Bikes? Holligan super motards? Why must they be stuck in the over saturated cruiser market? Give me one of those freedom vee twins in a super adventure bike like a GS Beemer...or design a dirt bike motor around one 500cc cylinder off the v twin motor, with a new lower end?

I have seen ONE victory on the streets of Los Angeles in 2005. Except for the ones in the Victory ad on Bee Rock Route in Griffith Park, that's all folks...I predict no more Victory motorcycles in a couple years. The home company in Japan won't go for it too much longer...

BrowningBAR 07-28-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 190107)
Personally I'd rather see these companies put some attention on reducing the weight of these things. That'd gain at least as much performance as HP increases. At least get them under 600 pounds.

No kidding. How is it cruiser weights keep going up? I like cruisers, but the weights are getting out of control.

The_AirHawk 07-28-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 190112)
No kidding. How is it cruiser weights keep going up? I like cruisers, but the weights are getting out of control.

Well, SOMETHING has gotta keep-up with Oil Prices...........

longride 07-28-2008 07:46 PM

Victory got on the boat late and will be one of the first ones to get off. They make nice enough bikes, but that Vision is the most hideous piece of crap this side of the Rune. One more clinker like that one and they can pack it in.

Kenneth_Moore 07-29-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 190123)
Victory got on the boat late and will be one of the first ones to get off. They make nice enough bikes, but that Vision is the most hideous piece of crap this side of the Rune. One more clinker like that one and they can pack it in.

I was surprised to see Arlen Ness sitting on "his Vision." When it came out, I recall him categorically denying having anything to do with it. Maybe it's a contract clause: he has to pretend to like it.

sarnali2 07-29-2008 06:38 AM

You see them around here from time to time, granted not a lot but they're out there. I think they're nice enough but if I want a v twin then it's an HD

Auphliam 07-29-2008 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 190123)
Victory got on the boat late and will be one of the first ones to get off.

Do you mean like Indian or EH? Or one of the hundreds of HD clone companies out there? Oh yeah, how are those guys doing? You guys got an auto-response built in for bashing Victory or something?

They'll be first to fail (maybe you should have thought about that a bit before you posted it)
There's only one in LA (are you kidding me? I see more than that in a town of 5000 in PA)
The home company in Japan...(last I checked, Minnesota and Iowa were still within our borders. Believe it or not, Wisconsin isn't the Holy Land)

I seem to recall mscuddy dogging HD for not making a 4 valve, OHC VTwin. Victory makes a 4 valve OHC VTwin, but they're just following the crowd.

I agree more than anything that a standard, adventure or hooligan bike would be great from these guys, but at least give them credit for doing something no other American competition for HD has been able to do yet. Stay alive.

I am a Vic owner, and yes my opinion is quite biased, but you guys are ridiculous sometimes.