Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Wadda' ya' think........

I went in to schedule my 1 k service on the new bagger..the all important "first service"...

I was told to drop it off around 0830 and they'd TRY to have it done by 6, both local dealerships told me this.

Now I don't mind playing games but keeping the bike all day long and charging me $430. for what amounts to an oil change and "checking critical fastners" stretches my imagination a little bit too much. I'm inclined to just buy the Official HD oil, filter and tranny/primary lube and do it myself. I'm perfectly capable of adjusting a clutch cable and checking the bike over. Assuming nothing crops up twixt now and then that would be a warranty issue I can't imagine putting up with all that nonesense, not to mention the risk of bonehead mistakes and assorted scratches one usually comes home with after a trip to the shop.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 07-25-2008 at 11:04 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

They don't check valve clearance any longer? Man, I'm old.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I did all the minor service on my XB9SX, including adjusting the primary, and oil & filter changes. It's a snap, and costs about $30.00 versus the big HD $$$$ screwing you're about to get. Also, they utilize the services of the lowest paid wanna-be mechanic to do the minor stuff, so watch out when you get it back, for loose drain plugs, low oil levels and BS like that.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Could be worse. Could own a Beemer. $1-2K for service.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
They don't check valve clearance any longer? Man, I'm old.
Harley's are hydraulic so self adjusting. It's basically like I said, change the oil and wiggle wrenches. They try to play it up of course...check the intake for leaks...lube & adjust the clutch cable.. re torque all critical fastners.. check the belt tension...

I just can't see paying that much for what I could do in a an hour or two.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Man, don't you have to kind of chalk it up to what you bought.

Didn't you just go through this with the Super Glide?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Man, don't you have to kind of chalk it up to what you bought.

Didn't you just go through this with the Super Glide?
No I usually do my own work.. The last bike I took in for the initial service was my Bonneville and that was because I had it re-jetted and TOR'd at the same time.. Before that was my VFR in 1997. I pay for work as a total last resort, it galls me to pay someone to do what I've been doing for years.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

As long as you can document that the service was done (receipts for oil and filter are sufficient) you will not have any warranty issues. There is a Federal law that prohibits manufacturers from forcing you to have service performed at their dealerships. I've kept a logbook and my receipts for my cars and bikes, never had an issue. That included an ill-fated Isuzu Trooper Diesel that ate an engine. I got a new engine from Isuzu because I could document the service I did.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Jimmyhnrx
Registered Member

Angry

It will not matter if it is a Car-Truck-Motorcycle-Space ship or a Boat. The dealer service departments are all alike. They have no Concept of the word SERVICE. Dropped my boat off, was told we'll get right on it sir. Should be done by Wednesday. (3days) Picked it up 12 days later. mmmmm I guess I didn't hear them right the first time?
Jimmyhnrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
someday
Founding Member

Samall2-- I still have my 02fxd,I've had just about every part in my hands at one time or another,,But I know just what you mean,about bite'in the bullet,when a Dealer works you over....
I broke down in montana one night,(trip arcoss the states),finally got a jump start,slept the rest of night wait'in for the dealer to open,,,they did'nt listen to me,,,(said no its not the stater)--hell I could smell it go'in bad,,,,,,
they put on a new regulator,,next night lost power,,limped in to a gas station,in to middle of knowhere,,,ended up on a hook,to another dealer(knowone knew any independents)....they changed the battery,,(hell I just bought a new one at the last dealer)...
I made it to bend OR...found a indy,,,who ordered a new after market stator,,and after 4days wait'in for the part,,,I was roll'in once again,,,,wait it gets better....
once in the san fransico bay area,,I break down with a wire'in problem,,well my harley hog,roadside ass. program comes throug again,,and I get trailered to vallejo hd...next day they tell me its going to cost like $2,000+ to fix my ride,,they say my wires are fried,and I need a new stator and regulator,and wires.....
I get down there,,tell to let me look at her,,,finally find out all they did was pull the inspection cover!!!!!!
I had to pay'em $187. and I PUSHED her to an indy I found down the street-(ever push your fxd?)

Exactly 15min later gorge has her runn'in,hooked up to a meter ,,says she's ok,,,just a wire rub/short....
SO I do all my own work,,NEVER take her to a dealer.....
Hope you like your bagger,,,,but maybe a yami/venture or something from victory,,,no more harley,till they clean up there act...someday.,