Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
As long as you can document that the service was done (receipts for oil and filter are sufficient) you will not have any warranty issues. There is a Federal law that prohibits manufacturers from forcing you to have service performed at their dealerships. I've kept a logbook and my receipts for my cars and bikes, never had an issue. That included an ill-fated Isuzu Trooper Diesel that ate an engine. I got a new engine from Isuzu because I could document the service I did.
Plus one on this comment, I tell most of my customers this.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhnrx View Post
It will not matter if it is a Car-Truck-Motorcycle-Space ship or a Boat. The dealer service departments are all alike. They have no Concept of the word SERVICE. Dropped my boat off, was told we'll get right on it sir. Should be done by Wednesday. (3days) Picked it up 12 days later. mmmmm I guess I didn't hear them right the first time?

I think if alot of people had their own dealership you would see the bigger picture. Its not as easy as you think, although good service is hard to come by these days. And truly all it takes is to care a little.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
Jimmyhnrx
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I Just happen to work at a GMC Commercial Truck dealership, and I agree.... It is not east, I will state it one more time, Very few dealerships understand the word service. Yes they have more overhead, So I understand the higher per hour charge, but most of the time the service sucks from the service department....
Jimmyhnrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
I think if alot of people had their own dealership you would see the bigger picture. Its not as easy as you think, although good service is hard to come by these days. And truly all it takes is to care a little.
Then why do independents, like the guy I use now on our cars, fix problems promptly, accurately and consistently? Not only that but when he replaced the a/c compressor on my truck and the a/c didn't work the next spring he found some leaks and fixed them for free. He even kept the record of the compressor and was going to exchange it under warranty without bothering me for receipts.

The dealers rely on a large proportion of motoring idiots who will believe it when they are told that the Johnson shaft needs defibrillating. I made the mistake once of using a dealer for the 60,000 checkup on my truck. $1200 later.... Riverton Motors can KMA.

As far as motorcycles go I've seldom found any mechanic who can do a better job than I can with a manual. How is it that the bike industry is so dominated by incompetent and even criminal repair shops? It's worse than the auto industry IMHO.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

My Brand New '08 Bullitt Mustang, I decided that - if the Dealer can bring the oil-change in around $25-$30, I'll let them service it. (normally I do ALL my own mechanic'n work - even on EFI, turbo'd engines, etc.)

So, three weeks-ago today I take the Bullitt in for its first service - 7500mile change interval sez Manuel, and it's around 7200.

We pull in, park in the Service Line - sit for a few minutes talking and watching service people go in and out, many pausing to admire the car. Get out, there's a Tech getting ready to pull the Explorer in front of us into the Service Garage. We walk past him, acknowledge him and he us, go inside the building and up to the Service Desk. The Lead at the Desk is on the phone, so we wait a few minutes. The Tech we had just walked past comes in, walks up to the Desk - leans against it and toward the Lead - obviously needing to say something to him. He looks over and me, then sorta casually sez: "That your Bullitt outside?" I nod and say yes, he gives a HUGE sigh and sez: (and at this moment I already knew what was gonna come out of his mouth) "Could you please COME WITH ME, I'VE GOT TO SHOW YOU SOMETHING WITH YOUR CAR........................"

$950.00 to replace the bumper cover, and the absorber beneath. Punched the receiver right through the cover. The Manager has assured me he will pick up the tab to the Body Shop (we're still waitin' patiently for a call from them - but in all fairness, I've seen that they ARE swamped right now, and the first cover they got in from Ford was damaged).

And the sumbiotchin' thing that pyssed me off was, the Oil Change came to $39.00.........

OK, back to the Old Way.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Then why do independents, like the guy I use now on our cars, fix problems promptly, accurately and consistently? Not only that but when he replaced the a/c compressor on my truck and the a/c didn't work the next spring he found some leaks and fixed them for free. He even kept the record of the compressor and was going to exchange it under warranty without bothering me for receipts.

The dealers rely on a large proportion of motoring idiots who will believe it when they are told that the Johnson shaft needs defibrillating. I made the mistake once of using a dealer for the 60,000 checkup on my truck. $1200 later.... Riverton Motors can KMA.

As far as motorcycles go I've seldom found any mechanic who can do a better job than I can with a manual. How is it that the bike industry is so dominated by incompetent and even criminal repair shops? It's worse than the auto industry IMHO.
Well let me tell you what they make now. When I started I made 50% of the repair bill. Now Iam in sales because their is no money in it unless your a natural and have been doing it for at least 15yrs. Remember to compair apple to apples (no car dealers).

Most car mechanics specialize in a few things. Bike techs have to know everything and not only do it right the first time but in a quick amount of time. Iam sure your really good with a manual,.....but the real question is can you beat flat rate in your garage? Iam assuming your aware of flat rate? Now imagine beating flat rate on every single job that comes accross your bench.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #17
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
My Brand New '08 Bullitt Mustang, I decided that - if the Dealer can bring the oil-change in around $25-$30, I'll let them service it. (normally I do ALL my own mechanic'n work - even on EFI, turbo'd engines, etc.)

So, three weeks-ago today I take the Bullitt in for its first service - 7500mile change interval sez Manuel, and it's around 7200.

We pull in, park in the Service Line - sit for a few minutes talking and watching service people go in and out, many pausing to admire the car. Get out, there's a Tech getting ready to pull the Explorer in front of us into the Service Garage. We walk past him, acknowledge him and he us, go inside the building and up to the Service Desk. The Lead at the Desk is on the phone, so we wait a few minutes. The Tech we had just walked past comes in, walks up to the Desk - leans against it and toward the Lead - obviously needing to say something to him. He looks over and me, then sorta casually sez: "That your Bullitt outside?" I nod and say yes, he gives a HUGE sigh and sez: (and at this moment I already knew what was gonna come out of his mouth) "Could you please COME WITH ME, I'VE GOT TO SHOW YOU SOMETHING WITH YOUR CAR........................"

$950.00 to replace the bumper cover, and the absorber beneath. Punched the receiver right through the cover. The Manager has assured me he will pick up the tab to the Body Shop (we're still waitin' patiently for a call from them - but in all fairness, I've seen that they ARE swamped right now, and the first cover they got in from Ford was damaged).

And the sumbiotchin' thing that pyssed me off was, the Oil Change came to $39.00.........

OK, back to the Old Way.
Hawk, that really sucks...'specially the 39 dollar part. But anyway, love the Bullitt. No stripes, no spoiler, clean and simple, just as is should be.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote