Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

...what pi$$es me off is why HD couldn't design their own motor for the damn thing. Off-brand manufacturers have always gone to Rotax for a motor, and if you've ever worked on one, you'll know they're...err..unique.

Why HD couldn't have re-engineered the sporty motor with all the knowhow that 50 years of hot rodding produced is beyond me. I think the biking public was ready for an air cooled gear or belt driven OHC v-twin with eight valves, that looked and sounded like a Harley.

Call me a luddite, but this is just another complex water cooled stooperbike that missed the target (for folks who would buy a Buell in the first place).

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #12
Auphliam
Founding Member

HD/Buell did design this powerplant...they just went to Rotax to build it for them. Harley wasn't going to tool an entire production line for a first time run of liquid cooled motors that they don't even put in their own line of bikes.

Personally, I don't think the 1125R missed the target. People have been asking for years for a real (re: not Sportster based) Amerkin Made sport bike. They built one. Everyone (including Buell owners) knew that if they were to step beyond the anemic power numbers of the old models, they would have to forget any daydreams of keeping the old tired Sporty engine design.

Of course, that's just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions
Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #13
Auphliam
Founding Member

BTW, is it me or does that smaller fairing make those snorkels look like a new ridiculous level of goofy?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #14
bbtowns
Founding Member

I don't think I would have bought a Buell with a reworked Sportster motor, but the new liquid cooled bike has me interested. I think of Rotax as reliable, and haven't had any trouble doing the maintenance on my Aprilia. Compared to Ducati valves they're a cinch.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
I don't think I would have bought a Buell with a reworked Sportster motor, but the new liquid cooled bike has me interested. I think of Rotax as reliable, and haven't had any trouble doing the maintenance on my Aprilia. Compared to Ducati valves they're a cinch.
I had no problem with the sportster engine (as long as it was reliable). They had a claim of 103hp and 84 torque. Not sure about the torque, but I do know that people were getting 90-ish hp out of them, which is fine for me.

I hope they keep a model or two with the sportster engine in it. I just like the concept and the difference it makes over other models.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

While the Helicon motor seems to be a good one, I'm with Cuddy in wishing they could make a 4V air-cooled motor.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Where have I seen those air scoops before?

...Ah yes, A DeSoto!

Last edited by mscuddy : 07-23-2008 at 03:01 PM.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
priday
Founding Member

Thumbs up I'm Done.

I just put my 2004 lightning on CraigsList. This is the bike I've been asking for, and Here It IS!

If anybody in interested in a daily driver in good shape, drummer, k&n, Etc., let me know.

pridayr@gmail.com

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
...Ah yes, A DeSoto!
I don't know whether to throw paint on the ladies fur wrap, or the car - mebbe if I aim properly, with splash-over I can get 'em BOTH.....................
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I hope they keep a model or two with the sportster engine in it. I just like the concept and the difference it makes over other models.
Thats a GREAT line. I've been shooting for almost 15 years and I can barely hear out of my left year (some numbnuts with a .41 magnum fired it off by my head before the range went hot, still people down range too!) I'll have to email it to my Grandfather, he'd get a kick out of that.

Picture makes me laugh too btw.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote