Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2008 Piaggio MP3 500 i.e. Review

Original Article:
2008 Piaggio MP3 500 i.e. Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Piaggio MP3 500 i.e. Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
vermicious
Registered Member

Interesting... I wonder what the fuel economy is like. It's not too pricey for a primary vehicle but a little high to be added to an existing stable (at least for what it is).
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
vermicious
Registered Member

Also, I think I'd feel better with a two year warranty on a vehicle with a relatively complex wheel and suspension system.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
Interesting... I wonder what the fuel economy is like. It's not too pricey for a primary vehicle but a little high to be added to an existing stable (at least for what it is).
$100 more will get you a VStrom1000. $600 less will get you a Bandit1250. $100 less will get you a Bandit1250ABS. The list goes on and on.

Get real, Piaggio.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Howzabout a good old fashioned spec sheet for us oldtimers...like weight, wheelbase, bore & stroke, valve config, etc...and since it can "lock" the front wheels, do you think a cripple can get velcroed to it and be able to ride it around without toppling over on Fairfax & 3rd in heavy traffic? Interesting....
Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
vermicious
Registered Member

That's all on there scud... just gotta click the link at the end of the article.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
$100 more will get you a VStrom1000. $600 less will get you a Bandit1250. $100 less will get you a Bandit1250ABS. The list goes on and on.

Get real, Piaggio.
Well I meant for someone who found this vehicle, in particular, appealing. Maybe someone who can't quite embrace riding on two wheels *shrug*

Personally, I can't imagine the honey moon lasting any longer than the novelty. Say.... 20 minutes? But I can imagine some timid soul seeing this as their way to stick their toe in the motorcycle pool.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
fonzie
Contributing Staff

I was actually surprised that the novelty didn't wear off after the first 20 minutes. I rode this thing for over a month and chose it over a few other bikes during that time. Refreshing change and fun as well. I can see it lasting a typical ownership span for some new riders, but the jaded might tire of it after a year. But I'd bet they'd be tired of hearing their friends poking fun at them instead of tiring from the three-wheel joy.

As for seruzawa.... that more/less money doesn't get you the third wheel however. More contact patch can save you that much money right quick on the wrong day...

mscuddy, specs are now on a new page [if they're in the system] and no, I'm sorry but the Spyder is more your speed unless you were willing to take a few tip overs at the beginning. The toggle does take some practice. With perfect timing everytime however, you can get this to work for you.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
I was actually surprised that the novelty didn't wear off after the first 20 minutes. I rode this thing for over a month and chose it over a few other bikes during that time. Refreshing change and fun as well. I can see it lasting a typical ownership span for some new riders, but the jaded might tire of it after a year. But I'd bet they'd be tired of hearing their friends poking fun at them instead of tiring from the three-wheel joy.

As for seruzawa.... that more/less money doesn't get you the third wheel however. More contact patch can save you that much money right quick on the wrong day...

mscuddy, specs are now on a new page [if they're in the system] and no, I'm sorry but the Spyder is more your speed unless you were willing to take a few tip overs at the beginning. The toggle does take some practice. With perfect timing everytime however, you can get this to work for you.
Point taken. Four wheels is even better!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I wouldn't pay that kind of dough to cruise around the 'burbs, but on cobblestone Euro streets this thing would be worth it's weight in gold.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote