Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default It Has Really Good Articles

That, you will recall, was the chestnut we guys blurted out when we were found reading a Penthouse or Playboy magazine back in the day. However, for the past few days, a magazine has been all about the photos for me. Not of naked women, but of a naked bike. The August Cycle World arrived last Wednesday with V-Max II on the cover, and I have read and re-read the pages on the new V-Max at least six times, maybe more. Actually, I read the pages just a couple of times, and have simply looked at the photos of the ‘Max again, and again, and again.

I can’t say exactly what it is about that bike that has me so captivated. Maybe it’s the giant freaking engine with bronze-colored trim pieces, maybe it’s the big “duallie” radiators hanging on the front. Yamaha, (ok, ok, “Star”) gets 500 bonus points just for taking the faux air scoops on Max I and making them functional on Max II. Could be it’s the scooped-out seat with the backstop to keep your ass on the bike when you whack the throttle.

Now, you have to ask yourself: how is it possible for Star to produce a bike that pastes together every chopper styling cliché into that atrocious eyesore known as the “Raider,” and then turn around less than a year later and release a bike that is undeniably hitting every styling sweet spot that can be packed into a two-wheeled vehicle? Anyone? Anyone? It’s a matter of integrity, of course. When V-Max I came out, the guys I rode with talked about how utterly insane it was to have over 140hp on a bike. Clearly, it would be suicide to ride this thing. Everybody wanted one. The V-Max is all Yamaha. Yamaha basically invented the “muscle bike” category when Max I hit the streets. The Raider is a lie, pure and simple. It’s a dirty, lice-ridden, crack-smoking ***** of a motorcycle, wearing stained white short-shorts and way too much makeup. The V-Max is exactly what it’s supposed to be: V-Max I with two decades of advancements in motorcycle technology poured in.

I can’t have one. The VStrom and I have made a commitment for at least the next two years, maybe more. Every time I see a Max II go by, it’s going to piss me off. I’m going to call the dealer from a pay phone tomorrow and tell them I’m going to come by and put a deposit down, and then give them a fake name and number. That damn bike is just going to drive me nuts for the next few months. However, I'll rationalize not gettiong one because riding a bike that’s three horsepower shy of 200 is suicide.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I’m going to call the dealer from a pay phone tomorrow and tell them I’m going to come by and put a deposit down, and then give them a fake name and number.
Imagine if TWO people went into the Recruiter's Office and said to the man behind the desk "You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant", and walked out..........................
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ken I feel the same way, I'd dearly love a new bike, not that there's anything wrong with what I have, I just want more. I've gone down the list:

Connie 14:...cool but more techno than I care for plus lousy mileage

Buell Uly:....cool but too stubby for me

Vstrom 1000:....definate possible dispite butthead dealer

Yammy FZ1:...current fav, definate possible

MG Norge: ...totally cool, good dealer support but so-so reviews, boatload of scratch buy-in..

R1200RT:...same as above...

Road Glide:...cool bike but spendy and don't really want another HD..

Tiger:...possible but Trumpied out, Vstrom is cheaper and better support....

Bandit 1250:..possible but already have a bandit..

That's not to mention the tons of low mile used bikes one finds from time to time...

That's just the short list but most likely either the DL1000 or FZ1, trouble is I'm in the same boat, I'm in the Dyna for a pretty good chunk and don't wish to unload either the Bandit or the Dyna to get something new, this requires patience on my part, not something I'm renown for I'm afraid.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default That magazine that you speak of

That magazine that you speak of showed up here yesterday. And I too reread a certain article over and over again. Wow a HD that I was interested in for the first time since 1978, springer hard tail. Yes I recall HD's previous attempt at this, flat tracker for the street and feel shame that I didn't participate. So I read it over and over again hoping that it would change. To come this far only to have non adjustable forks, wtf.

Yes I know how to adjust them, I have 3/4 plastic conduit standing up in the kitchen.

Sorry this shouldn't have been in this thread, feel free to move. Or soak me in salt water...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
That magazine that you speak of showed up here yesterday. And I too reread a certain article over and over again. Wow a HD that I was interested in ...
Did you chuckle too when you saw the "EXCLUSIVE!! Harley XR 1200 Test" across the top of the cover? Exclusive? I've read at least three articles on that bike in the last month; I think HD flew every Motojournalist in the Western Hemisphere to Spain to ride the thing.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Why do I even bother with magazines?

Ya mean it was in your magazine as well. Those bastards. I thought they did that just for me.