Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
SKMosss
Registered Member

Default Need advice on new bike

Need advice on a new bike. Specific suggestions would be great, but also, what to look for, and what to look out for.

I guess a bit of back ground would make sense.

I'm 52, 6' 0", and around 185. I owned, and drove as daily drivers in my 20s 2 bikes. A '71 750 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, and a 76 Yamaha XS1100. Actually took the Yamaha cross country.

What I'm doing is trying to get somewhat out from under the current gas prices. Wife has basically agreed to take my brand new Fusion (36mpg on the highway) and I get her Xterra when I need, it. AND a bike for milage as a daily driver.

I'm so out of it, I don't even know the various classes of bikes out there but I'm learning.

I don't need anything especially fancy. I was looking at a Suzi 850 Boulavard S50? With a new seat, back rest for passenger (and maybe me), wind screen, and saddle bags it looks like a pretty good combo. But as I read about it, (ain't the internet cool) some folks are saying it may not be the right fit for someone as tall as I am.

So the goal is to find a good fit for a 50+ old fart, that want's good value for my money, good gas mileage, passenger (sometimes my daughter will be with me) comfort, and a good daily freeway driver. New/Used?

Any and all help will be greatly apprecaited.
SKMosss is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Suzuki Wee-Strom 650. Kawasaki Versys. Check 'em out.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yes, those are excellent choices. Because you're looking for gas savings, you will do best with a smaller, efficient engine. Because you're fairly tall, a "dual-sport" bike will likely fit you well and still be comfortable. A small cruiser such as the S50 may fold you up a bit. Also, the VStrom and the Versys will have a decent back seat for your pillions.

You could also check out some of the Triumph models, such as the Bonneville or the Tiger, although the latter is pretty big.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
SKMosss
Registered Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Based on style, I think I'll pass on the Kawi. But the 650 Suzi looks great, and is getting some nice reviews. I'll see if i can track one down and get a look.

any additional suggestions would be great.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMosss View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Based on style, I think I'll pass on the Kawi. But the 650 Suzi looks great, and is getting some nice reviews. I'll see if i can track one down and get a look.

any additional suggestions would be great.
If the VStrom 650 interests you, check out Stromtrooper.com - Powered by vBulletin for lots of fun facts to learn and share. You're not going to get a lot of support for buying a typcial Japanese "cruiser" bike around here. They certainly have their following, but in-the-know motorcyclists avoid them like the plague. Given your advanced age, you might enjoy a trip by your neighborhood Triumph dealer. You'll see a lot of bikes that will remind you of your Wonder Years. I happen to know this because I'm 52 myself. I ride the VStrom 1000 and love it, but it might be too much for your first ride as a returning rider.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
SKMosss
Registered Member

Default Will check it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If the VStrom 650 interests you, check out Stromtrooper.com - Powered by vBulletin for lots of fun facts to learn and share. You're not going to get a lot of support for buying a typcial Japanese "cruiser" bike around here. They certainly have their following, but in-the-know motorcyclists avoid them like the plague. Given your advanced age, you might enjoy a trip by your neighborhood Triumph dealer. You'll see a lot of bikes that will remind you of your Wonder Years. I happen to know this because I'm 52 myself. I ride the VStrom 1000 and love it, but it might be too much for your first ride as a returning rider.
Kenneth,

Thanks for the pointer. will take a look now. I'm a tad concerned that a 650 won't have the staying power to deal with the California Freeways, and would probably lean toward a 1000. What is it about the 1000 that might be too much?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Kenneth,

Thanks for the pointer. will take a look now. I'm a tad concerned that a 650 won't have the staying power to deal with the California Freeways, and would probably lean toward a 1000. What is it about the 1000 that might be too much?
Hahahaha! "Staying Power" the man sez!

You *DO* realize the 650 is good for probably 125+, don't you? Exactly HOW fast do you ride on the Freeways?

By all means though, check out the 1K if you think you "need" that much power to "keep up".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post

You *DO* realize the 650 is good for probably 125+, don't you? Exactly HOW fast do you ride on the Freeways?

By all means though, check out the 1K if you think you "need" that much power to "keep up".
Good old overkill. I never had trouble "staying up", even 2 up on a Yamaha 350. Good old Americans. A .38 will do the job, but they gotta buy a .454 Casull.

You forgot to recommend... well, you know.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #9
SKMosss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post

Geezzz guys, just asking questions. I already admitted I've been away for a long time.

I don't ride fast on a freeway. At or a tad over (if necessary to stay with traffic) the speed limit.

Ok, so will a 650, handle me, a passenger, full saddle bags and trunk. And have enough power left over to get out of the way in an emergency? My old 750 Guzzi didn't have it. The old 1100 had no issue no matter what I put on it. I don't have the money to buy one bike, then turn around in a year and decide to buy another one, so I'd like to be careful.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Geezzz guys, just asking questions. I already admitted I've been away for a long time.

I don't ride fast on a freeway. At or a tad over (if necessary to stay with traffic) the speed limit.

Ok, so will a 650, handle me, a passenger, full saddle bags and trunk. And have enough power left over to get out of the way in an emergency? My old 750 Guzzi didn't have it. The old 1100 had no issue no matter what I put on it. I don't have the money to buy one bike, then turn around in a year and decide to buy another one, so I'd like to be careful.
No sweat.

The 1000 would definitely be better two-up but then you give away some gas mileage. Best way to tell is to ride a 650 and see. These modern 650s are entirely different in every way from the ones of 20 years ago. The people at stromtrooper.com can probably do a better job on these questions since they own the things.