Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
veera
Registered Member

Default Ducati Monster Vs Honda CBR600RR

Hi,

I am new here, so in case this post is in the wrong forum, my apologies!

I am very eager to buy a new motorbike. I have years of riding experience on a 100cc motorbike so I now want to buy a 600cc bike.

I am inclined towards buying a Ducati Monster 696, but, I read some very good reviews on the net for Honda CBR600RR which has confused me and I am not able to decide.

I like both of their looks and I am planning to test drive them as soon as I get my US motorbike driving license.

Until then, can you please help me decide by telling me some reasons as to why I should not pick a bike?

For example: Ducati Monster is expensive for an air cooled engine, etc.

I am 6Ft 2inches tall, so please advice on which one will be more comfortable also.

Thanks!
veera is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Well, do you have any need for over 100hp? (say no.)

Do you have any reason to hit 60mph in three seconds or less? (say no.)

The duc will hold its value and isn't extremely over powered. I've heard some taller people complain about the ergos feeling cramped on them though so make sure you go to a dealer and sit on one. Maybe look at a used Monster 800, same power, bigger bike.

If you have to have a sports bike look at the Ninja 250 and 500s, possibly the 650.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Let's see if Klazy Ken can help:

Ducatis are the most lusted after, most revered for design and technical accomplishment, most iconic in style, materials, and manufacturing execution, most talked and written about, arguably are the most successful racing in the modern era, are virtually hand-built by Old World craftsmen, and are among the most expensive and often scarce motorcycles in the world.

Hondas are mass-produced, robotically assembled, middle of the road bore-bikes manufactured in units of tens of thousands, by a firm who's founder saw motorcycles as a way to open the door for his company to sell cars to Americans.

Oh yeah, and one more thing: Ducati Monster is expensive for an air cooled engine. You stupid. You take my seminar.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

I've only sat on an 800 at the dealership. Shorter reach than the 695 or 6 whatever, more comfortable for me @ 5'6". It was used and it disappeared real fast the 1000's are still sitting there. The price was phenomenal, I wasn't shopping and didn't know till I went home and looked. Not a great loss, now a similiar story about some Remington 40X's in 7.62 years ago, I think I'm gonna go cry now remembering.

Last edited by sfcdjevans : 06-25-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Sad, really sad.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
veera
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Oh yeah, and one more thing: Ducati Monster is expensive for an air cooled engine. You stupid. You take my seminar.
I am just quoting the motorcycle.com review of the 696

So, from what I can understand, the Ducatis hold their value better than the Hondas, meaning, if I ever plan to sell the bike(after buying one ), Ducatis will have a better value. Cool.

Thanks! Will do some more home work and be back...
veera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Don't get hung up on the idea of resale value. Sure, it's a consideration, but not the most important one. You should buy the bike that yanks yer crank. If you don't you'll always be sorry each time you see one. I'd get the Duck over the boring Honda Any day of the week because I like it a lot better. Resale is only icing.
When I rode through Eastern Utah near Moab, I told all the hippies to F off for you.

We're riding Rocky Mtn National Park today. I'll have some time tomorrow for some photo uploads.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Thanks. Moab used to be great until it got discovered. I think there are more hippies there than in Than Franthithco.

BTW. Have you seen any AT type bikes with dirt on them yet? I haven't.
No, but I can tell you the Geezer glide is filthy! We'll probably ride another 250 miles today and then tomorrow I'm just going to chill for a day in Breckenridge.

I'll head south saturday for Santa Fe, NM and then start heading west to get home.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Don't get hung up on the idea of resale value. Sure, it's a consideration, but not the most important one. You should buy the bike that yanks yer crank. If you don't you'll always be sorry each time you see one. I'd get the Duck over the boring Honda Any day of the week because I like it a lot better. Resale is only icing.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
When I rode through Eastern Utah near Moab, I told all the hippies to F off for you.
Thanks. Moab used to be great until it got discovered. I think there are more hippies there than in Than Franthithco.

BTW. Have you seen any AT type bikes with dirt on them yet? I haven't.

Last edited by seruzawa : 06-26-2008 at 07:47 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post

Don't forget to distribute the Klazy Ken Seminar Flyers! You get $18 for every one who signs up with the Buzzugly promo code!