Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Those Thieving Bastards!

My pal and co-worker Brian's Honda 954 was swiped this morning. He'd been out till 4 am doing some "community service work" and was too "tired" when he got home to roll the bike into his living room like he usually does. Sometime before 8 when he got up for work, the bike disappeared.

Just a couple of days ago, this nice kid in my complex had his Honda 600 swiped. He's a pretty nice guy; he was doing the "Motorcycling School of Hard Knocks;" this was his first bike and he crashed it twice within the first few months. He fixed it and kept riding though, and had gone almost 6 months without a wreck. Some other residents said they saw it being loaded into the back of a pickup late at night. At first they thought it was the owner taking it off to get fixed after another wreck, but when the truck hauled out of there with the bike lying on it's side, they figured it was theft. Too late.

When the detectives talked to Brian, they told him that over 20 bikes had been stolen in the past month right in our area; that's almost one a night. I know for a fact that another Suzuki sportbike in my complex was swiped; I don't know the owner but I saw it every night coming home until it suddenly disappeared just a few weeks ago. Another neighbor confirmed the bad news.

Because my complex doesn't have garages, I rent a 10X10 storage unit around the corner. I've got all my tools and stuff there that used to be in what is now my ex-wife's garage. I can walk to the unit in about 15 minutes, or pedal my bicycle (wheeze, cough) in 5. Taking the car there is a ***** because the Pubic Storage dopes only have 3 parking places. Needless to say, they get irked if a few riders cop all the spaces for the day, so we're not allowed to.

So, what is all this ranting about? I guess I'm venting, it's frustrating as hell because sometimes, especially over the weekend, I like to leave the bike out in the lot overnight so I can jump on it and ride instead of schlepping to the storage. Even though it's a Buzz-ugly bastard of a bike, I suspect someone might grab it just on principle alone. They haven't touched the 30 year old Electra Glide that sits in the lot every night, nor the Softail Heritage that's under cover up at the entry to the complex. I suspect the Softail gets a pass because it's a heavily trafficed area; the FLH because the thieves are too dumb to know what it is.

I have to wonder if it would be so hard for the cops to sprinkle some LoJacked bikes around town and bust these guys. It has to be a ring or club, or a couple of them. One day I stayed home from work and watched this dude on a sportbike cruise the lot. He had his full-face pushed up on his head and an illegible paper tag hanging in shreds from his undertail. I suspect he was shopping, but maybe he was looking for his blind date's place.

What's it like where you live? Do you park your ride outside at your own risk? Do you rush to the window or balcony first thing in the morning to see if your bike is still there? I do, and it sucks. Even with my insurance I'd lose my ass if the Strom got swiped. I wonder if Kirk can work up a policy that actually replaces your bike rather than just give you what the book says it's worth?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

In the old days they strung up horse thieves. Time to bring back that time-honored tradition. My bikes are garaged and locked up pretty good. I do think about getting one of those motion security cameras out there though. Pity the fool if I catch them out there. I won't be calling the cops.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

There is a Special Place in Hell for Bike/Car thieves. I believe it has something to do with a 50-ton gristmill-wheel and their testicles. Over and over again............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I won't be calling the cops.
Sure you will. They have a free garbage removal service to clean up the place when you're done.