Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
See! High Pressure Direct Injection! Betcha it uses a 4stroke lower end, and and exhaust port, got rid of the loop-scavenging. You don't need any oil for the gas, right?
Well, it had an oil feed tank like the old RD did. But, the consumption was nothing, a gallon of oil was good for 60-80 gallons of gas depending on how hard you ran it. Get this: some of the "boys" at the docks would still do the 30:1 premix just because "I don't trust that damn oil injection crap." Naturally their boats were mini Exxon-Valdez; smoke and oil slicks trailing behind.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Direct Injection. It's the 7th Wonder of the World.........
Yup. My Yamaha 200 outboard had HPDI, which was (I'm pretty sure) 700 psi High Pressure Direct Injection. The sales guy actually convinced me not to spend more on the 4 stroke, it was a lot heavier and he said it would trash the boat's (Grady-White 21) performance. The fuel efficiency was astounding compared to the old stuff; I could go from Ft Lauderdale to Nassau on 40 gallons.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #23
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

See! High Pressure Direct Injection! Betcha it uses a 4stroke lower end, and and exhaust port, got rid of the loop-scavenging. You don't need any oil for the gas, right?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:59 AM   #24
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

One can only hope. Boy does that sound familiar, where have I heard that. Like I can only hope my account works....
Old 06-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Well, it had an oil feed tank like the old RD did. But, the consumption was nothing, a gallon of oil was good for 60-80 gallons of gas depending on how hard you ran it. Get this: some of the "boys" at the docks would still do the 30:1 premix just because "I don't trust that damn oil injection crap." Naturally their boats were mini Exxon-Valdez; smoke and oil slicks trailing behind.
"I jist don' trust that-thar new ding-fangled 'lektricky fool-injarcshun thangie. B'sides, I know better'n any durn-fool Injuneer that's done spent the last ten yar's O' his life tryin' to prefect this-here Injun............"
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 06-18-2008 at 06:21 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #26
acecycleins
Founding Member

Yamaha would only have to sell enough of these to make it interesting. Maybe 3000 world wide would do it. Question is at what cost? If they could keep it sub-$6500 (FZ6 territory) would that do it? Also, it'd make a great club racer. WERA could start a spec series easily for this. 30 or so old guys is all it'd take. Only changes allowed would be to exhaust and mapping. Swap the tires for DOT Supersport spec and you're off to the races.

This idea that you can have a "clean" two stroke has been churning for a minute. There are very cool "clean" euro-scooters out there using direct injection technology and they seem to meet smog requirements easily over there. It's a great engineering excersize- just hope it works.