Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I liked the giant cloud of smoke it left in its wake. The sound of a 750 triple with chambers made the hair stand up on the back of your neck...woooooo, wooooooo, rack-a-clack clack clack clack....woooooooooo...nothin' else in the world sounded like that...ah...memories...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Don't give up on 2-stroke yet: Evinrude has been doing extremely well with their 2 strokes, and are putting out lower emissions than the 4 strokes, along with far lower maintenance costs and better power to weight ratios. I believe the instrumentation and control functions they've been able to include cheaply are what's made it possible. And, Yamaha has to know there's thousands of old farts like me who would love to re-live their days of glory on the old RCs and RDs. Just ask Buzz!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

What technology are they using? I'd be real interested to know the real story, other than the ad-man crap on their website...
Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Just got on the Johnson-Evenrude site, and they don't make 2 strokes anymore, everything is a 4 cycle. with ETECH technology, whatever that is...
Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Just got on the Johnson-Evenrude site, and they don't make 2 strokes anymore, everything is a 4 cycle. with ETECH technology, whatever that is...
WHAT!?!? When I was living at the boatyard they were testing the FICTH technology which was the clean burn 2-stroke stuff. Heck, they had infomercials on Speed just the other day....I think it was just the other day. Now I'll have to go check too!

F'em anyway. I want a ring-ding, and I ain't buying Buzzly's old ragged out 400 to get one.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Cuddy, the E-Tec appears to be alive and well! From a recent online review:

"After justifying the extra couple thousand dollar price difference we were impressed with the E-TEC. Supposedly over a couple years time It'll actually save money. The three main money saving areas are no maintenance for 3 years, uses 30-70% less oil than other motors, and has the gas consumption rate of a 4 stroke; we'll see how true Evinrudes claims are.

The first time we had the opportunity to test drive an E-TEC we were surprised by several things. First, there was almost no startup smoke and oil slick. It was a lot quieter than what we had expected for a 2 stroke, and it was almost scary fast out of the hole even with the prop replaced by a jet pump. One of the other motors in our stables has been a Mercury 90 2 stroke, we've been running that one hard for several years and could see a big difference in the two! Our only concern is that it's just like a car now, all computer driven even down to the "Speed Adjusting Failsafe Electronics"...whatever that is "
Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 AM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

My dad had a two stroke DKW Junior when we lived in Montreal, Didn't matter how cold it was it always started right up. I think he traded it for a Beetle because there was more room

ImageKW Junior deLuxe 02.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #18
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, I guess Evinrude-Johnson doesn't want the word "Two Stroke" on their website, might scare away enviro-wackos who are in the market for a outboard. Wonder what they do to a two stroke to get it to burn clean, and get all that HP & fuel mileage? I've got a 1948 Elgin 8 hp twin in the garage that goes with my sailboat tender (8 foot dinghy). It's been running every season (well not the last summer, or this one since my accident) as long as I can remember...amazing how long a two stroke will run with the proper maintenance, and oil.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #19
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Man, that is one cool looking DKW...when I was doing research on the DWK blurb in the MX forum, DKW produced a V-6 two stroke, that used the first two cylinders as a supercharger (so it was actually a V-4). Those German designers were (are) amazing.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Wonder what they do to a two stroke to get it to burn clean, and get all that HP & fuel mileage?
Direct Injection. It's the 7th Wonder of the World.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote