Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/8409-2008-harley-davidson-xr1200-review.html)

Administrator 06-10-2008 12:27 PM

2008 Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review

Original Article:
2008 Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

oscgonzales 06-10-2008 12:39 PM

I have an 883 standard and I like it. I also have a Yamaha FZ-1 and would trade both for the XR1200 if it were available. I guess H-D thinks guys like me are too small a minority to sell it here. At $10K I think it would sell as well as any other bike in their line.

Kenneth_Moore 06-10-2008 01:58 PM

What the heck is going on here? Motorcyclist put this bike onthe cover and raves about it like it was the Second Coming, Motorcycle.com follows suit, I'm sure there will be a dozen more articles just like these. I love Sportsters, but none of the specs I found make this one all that much different from the rest of them, especially the Roadster. Same engine, same frame, new swingarm and suspension. Anybody could make this bike out of a stock 1200 with a catalog, a few thousand bucks, and a tool kit. Hell, you could make a better bike for that matter.

I think it's the fact that they fly the journos to Europe to test it out that results in these glowing reports. So the writers do their payback (thanks for the vaykay, love the shirts) and don't have to worry cause: "Sorry, can't have it in the US."

The truth hurts, but the only way the Motojourno/Manufacturers will silence me is by including me in the next few trips.

acecycleins 06-10-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 186860)
What the heck is going on here? Motorcyclist put this bike onthe cover and raves about it like it was the Second Coming, Motorcycle.com follows suit, I'm sure there will be a dozen more articles just like these. I love Sportsters, but none of the specs I found make this one all that much different from the rest of them, especially the Roadster. Same engine, same frame, new swingarm and suspension. Anybody could make this bike out of a stock 1200 with a catalog, a few thousand bucks, and a tool kit. Hell, you could make a better bike for that matter.

I think it's the fact that they fly the journos to Europe to test it out that results in these glowing reports. So the writers do their payback (thanks for the vaykay, love the shirts) and don't have to worry cause: "Sorry, can't have it in the US."

The truth hurts, but the only way the Motojourno/Manufacturers will silence me is by including me in the next few trips.

Market's different in Europe. Tor is based there. What we're able to do in our aftermarket for the bike is slightyly different there. Our availablility of sources makes Europe's silly. It's like comparing Cycle Gear to Parts Unlimited. They both have parts, but Parts Unltd distributes 10 to 15 times what Cycle gear could do. Customizing is a natural for the Sporty but why buy one that you will eventually turn into the bike you see. Math dictates the XR a better overall value if buying straight from the floor.

BTW- Ken call my cell- be here until 5:45

Buzglyd 06-10-2008 02:36 PM

I think it's pretty cool but I'd rather buy a used 883 for peanuts and put the Storz kit on it and pump up the engine.

Dr_Sprocket 06-10-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 186863)
I think it's pretty cool but I'd rather buy a used 883 for peanuts and put the Storz kit on it and pump up the engine.

So, how much do you think it'd cost to build a used 883 or 1200 into a bike like this?

Dr_Sprocket 06-10-2008 05:59 PM

This bike looks sweet! I'd have to say, with the introduction of the new Cross Bones and this bike, Harley is making some interesting new products. Two thumbs up!!

mscuddy 06-10-2008 06:32 PM

The only thing they got right is the right side case that should have a SHIFTER sticking out of it...the rest is just standard passable Harley foof. Two big injectors with Filtron can-type air cleaners would have been nice, but I guess that's asking too much from the MOTOR COMPANY.

lilmamak 06-10-2008 08:12 PM

This is the most Un-American act that Harley Davidson has done. Shame on them. To think an American company that would introduce an new model not in the United States.

mscuddy 06-10-2008 08:34 PM

Just you wait round eye...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmamak (Post 186874)
This is the most Un-American act that Harley Davidson has done. Shame on them. To think an American company that would introduce an new model not in the United States.

For most exciting starter bike made in China from Japanese tooling with HD logo on honorable gas tank. Me have inside scoop on tricky bike (gotta stop watching these old Charley Chan movies).