Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #21
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
IMHO, the defining characteristic of a cruiser is forward foot controls and a relaxed riding position. From the few photos, it looks more like a standard riding position with the feet under the thigh or seat. This means it will likely be an abysmal failure. C'mon, with the OCCing of America (constantly being bombarded with images of raked out choppers) it's not difficult to understand why we just don't get it when it comes to standards. I guess "power standard" doesn't have quite the ring.
The FXR and FXD both have "mid" controls along with the XL line of Harleys. The Vulcans, Shadows, and Viragos of the 80's all had "mid" controls on them. The V-rod models offer "mid" controls, too. The original Max and the Magna V-65- same thing. The feet forward thing didn't even work it's way into mainstream status until the 90's. Only Harley offered "forward" controls back in the yester-year and only on FX bikes in the 70's did anyone really notice. All the FL bikes offer floorboards so I don't consider those to be "forward" in the sense that pegs are what make forward be forward in my book. Why is it not possible to be a cruiser and have feet under you while cruising?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #22
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
The FXR and FXD both have "mid" controls along with the XL line of Harleys. The Vulcans, Shadows, and Viragos of the 80's all had "mid" controls on them. The V-rod models offer "mid" controls, too. The original Max and the Magna V-65- same thing. The feet forward thing didn't even work it's way into mainstream status until the 90's. Only Harley offered "forward" controls back in the yester-year and only on FX bikes in the 70's did anyone really notice. All the FL bikes offer floorboards so I don't consider those to be "forward" in the sense that pegs are what make forward be forward in my book. Why is it not possible to be a cruiser and have feet under you while cruising?
So, what defines a cruiser? I would posit that all the bikes mentioned were (are) also standards. The V-rod came stock with forward controls, so that makes it a cruiser. The Street Rod has rearsets, and therefore cannot be considered a cruiser. Same bike (for all intents and purposes), different controls = street sport. All the H-D bikes mentioned, I would also consider standards.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:16 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"So, what defines a cruiser?"

What defines a cruiser is the bikes' intended purpose, just like what defines a sportbike. What are you going to use it for? Foot position does not make something a cruiser. The FX series of Harleys with mid controls are not standards. They were, and are, and always will be, cruisers. Changing the foot position didn't change the intended purpose of the motorcycle.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:15 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post

What defines a cruiser is the bikes' intended purpose, just like what defines a sportbike. What are you going to use it for? Foot position does not make something a cruiser. The FX series of Harleys with mid controls are not standards. They were, and are, and always will be, cruisers. Changing the foot position didn't change the intended purpose of the motorcycle.
As I recall a cruiser originally was just a standard bike with a stepped seat, sissy bar, small fuel tank and other styling options that made it different (and less practical) from a standard. Foot controls were left unchanged. Even when I built my chopper back in the early 70's it still had standard foot controls. Highway pegs were added usually, but the controls on any sane bike are not stuck out near the front wheel. I still laugh to see people riding around with their legs splayed out like they are ready to receive a tax bill.

The V-max, Magna, etc were originally termed power cruisers because they had the "custom" styling that was so popular and also had extremely powerful engines for the time. They also had standard style footpeg positions. Some people referred to these bikes as dragbikes but "power cruiser" was the common term and you can read the term "power cruiser" in bike mags of the era. That's what the V-Max was sold as. History doesn't change just because so much of the current bike population rides around like a bunch of splayed frogs.

I don't know why everyone cares so much anyhow. Forward controls usually suck no matter what you call the bike. Rearsets can too.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #25
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I put forewards off an FXWG on mine, I have long legs and creaky knees and Harley mid mounts don't work for me on the FXD, The ones on iron head Sporties were fine and the ones on the Street Rod but the low seat FX series had my knees and ankles bent uncomfortably.

This Vmax is a stunner, I agree with the RPG attachment for the airscoops. I'd buy a Boost King before this but realisticaly I'd buy an FZ1.. anyway nice bike, hope the sell a boat-load.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #26
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post

Wll said, well spoken.
See LR, we see eye to eye on some things I bloviate about. Go figure.