Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
gary1911
Registered Member

with all that has been said what are the thoughts on the Victory bikes as far as cruisers
gary1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
newagetwotone
Registered Member

well i think they key thing is to try it! Take the MFS course some of them use little cruisers maybe you'll get lucky. If not, rent one for a day or two.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #13
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Victory? Well made, but (as far as I've seen) usually not suited to comfortable cruising.

Gary, I repeat, that a cruiser will not necessarily be a comfortable ride. A big fat seat is not the only thing that helps comfort. On a cruiser, the problem is that ALL your weight is on your butt, so if the seat isn't perfect, you're not going to enjoy it. (A standard bike -- see my avatar -- allows the rider to support her weight with her legs and arms too.) Also, the seating position on a cruiser often curves the rider's back out, which is extremely tiring. Think of the Iron Butt Rally riders -- you don't see many (any) of them on cruisers, because that sort of fit is just not conducive to doing miles.

Like I say, a cruiser can be comfortable, but don't make the mistake of thinking it will be the most comfortable bike out there for you.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
gary1911
Registered Member

Awesome info Sachi thats why I asked the question! Thank you!

What kinda ride ya got there?

Yea I have a few back issues already so I don't want to add to that!
What would you suggest? i know its a huge theirs an a@# for every seat kinda thing just get my licence and get testing???????????
Old 05-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

An analogy can be drawn by seeing how people have worked out the proper method of riding a horse. As JB once said they didn't put 2x4s on the stirrups so they could put their feet out straight. They also didn't invent saddles that made you crouch over the horse's neck constantly. The motorcycle that best approximates the horseman's riding position is, of course, the naked standard, the DP bike or the Adventure Tourer. They give the best combination of comfort, visibility and control. These bikes happen to be the epitome of motorcycle development and are owned by superior, discerning motorcyclists who recognize this trait.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #16
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Gary, I have a Honda 599 (in the pic) and a 1989 CB-1. They are both small naked standards; the CB-1 has a bit more lean in the riding position.

There are quite a few standards out there to look into. Check out a 599 (if you can find one) or 919, a Yamaha FZ-6, Kawasaki KZ 750 (I think it is), or the various Triumph models. Just check out the seating position, and notice how much weight is on your feet and arms. (Keep in mind that in the wind, the wind will push you up off your arms.) Notice the curvature of your back on all of these. Imagine how it will feel when the wind is pushing against your chest. Will it bend your back out?

FWIW, I hold myself in place on the bike with my stomach and thigh muscles. That's comfortable enough for me to have earned Iron Butt certs three times over, and to do plenty of other long distance rides. If the bike fits you, you should not have to use your back muscles at all.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #17
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Victory's build quality, fit, and finish are excellent. However, given their cost and your current riding skills, they may not be the best bike to get back into riding. What is your goal regarding motorcycling? Commuting? Boulevard cruising? Bar hopping?

I agree with Sachi. Hone your street skills on a standard, then when you are ready and feel confident, upgrade to the bike that speaks to you the most. (Disclosure: I prefer standards to cruisers any way.) One bike Sachi did not mention is the Honda Nighthawk 750.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
12er
Founding Member

Buy a Used KLR 650, ride it for a year then decide what your second bike will be. You'll feel right at home on the KLR while getting your street skills up to par. You wont be out much green and will probably never sell it, or like me wish you hadn't.
That leaned back barcalounger feeling of a cruiser in the showroom is far from the feeling at speed. Always remember a major headwind is just a twist of the throttle away. So freeway speed you may be holding on for dear life and every bump on a cruiser shoots right up your spine as with the forward controls you have no feet to support your weight, just spine and backside. A bike that puts you in a slight forward lean is about optimal as you can lay into the wind instead of fighting it.
I rode dirt bikes from 5 to 18 then was bikeless till 29. I bought a 00 KLR and put 12k miles on it before I upgraded to my BMW. Check one out and see what you think.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
gary1911
Registered Member

Thanks thats some good info
Old 05-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #20
gary1911
Registered Member

I noticed a few commenting on the wind in your face doesn't the wind shield help. I;m talking about a cruiser.

Gary