Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
dave_h
Registered Member

Default 97 gsxr troubles oil consumption/wont rev over 4000 rpm

My brothers bike (97 gsxr 600) (so I'm not really familiar with it yet mechanicaly) Anyway...the bike was stored improperly and ignored since 2005. Now my brother wants to ride with me because I bought a new bike and his wouldnt run. So I cleaned his carbs...and drained and filled his tank with new gas. I removed all the jets and cleaned them...but i did not remove the needle valves i just sprayed some carb cleaner at them. When I had the carbs off I noticed that the Right cylinder had quite a bit of oil (maybe a teaspoon) sitting on top of the intake valve. We changed the oil (went with 20-50 this time) never used 20-50 on this bike before. Started up the bike and it ran great(like new) Rode the bike for 3 miles and it ran great...then died out...restarts wont rev over 4000 rpm...wont start without full choke, and the bike used one quart of oil in 3 miles. I didnt look in the airfilter housing yet to see if it's full of oil. I'm just looking for advice now before i tear into this thing. I'm assuming the bike has an electric fuel pump...do to the whine sound when key turned on. What kind of pressure should it have?? What kind of volume?? What is the diaphram mounted to bottom of pump? I'm thinking of removing all the spark plugs and pourin either seafoam or trans fluid in the combustion chamber...maybe the rings stick and thats why the oil is vanishing? Im gonna pull and replace plugs tommorow... so I'll know more tommorow Thanks for any help!!
dave_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
dave_h
Registered Member

everyones so busy writing to the (SMart ass answer guy they have no time for me!!!) lol
dave_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Nah, nah, just hang on and we'll get around to you, sport!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ok, now, seriously, did you check the fuel filter? With clean gas and clean carbs it should run smoothly, so I wonder if the long sit left crud or corrosion in the gas tank that has made its way into the filter and plugged it, or even into the carbs,

I have no options for the oil issue.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"wont start without full choke, and the bike used one quart of oil in 3 miles."

Sounds like severe loss of compression from bad valves or bad rings or both. Do a compression check and I think you will have your answer.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"wont start without full choke, and the bike used one quart of oil in 3 miles."

Sounds like severe loss of compression from bad valves or bad rings or both. Do a compression check and I think you will have your answer.
Good call. Sounds like the BTS syndrome so common to sportbikes.

Beat To Shyt.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Good call. Sounds like the BTS syndrome so common to sportbikes.

Beat To Shyt.
I don't think it was stored improperly. It was discarded.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

If it had oil sitting on top of the intake valve there you go, bad intake valve guide seal. On a Zook they're little rubber doo-dads woth a spring-steel wire in 'em, that holds the seal at the top of the valve guide. Easy to replace. Hard to get to.