Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Riding with Strong Side Wind Gusts (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8140)

954Fireblade 05-15-2008 07:44 PM

Riding with Strong Side Wind Gusts

Riding my old ZX-10 home from work on an interstate, and the side wind gusts were pretty strong. I ended up running ~55-60 in a 75 zone, and the gusts were whacking me good.

Anyone ever been shoved off the road by side winds?

seruzawa 05-15-2008 07:50 PM

Nearly. I got caught in a windstorm once in Utah that had blown some empty coal cars off the rr tracks. I discovered this when I was blown suddenly across two lanes and onto the shoulder on my KZ750. Lighter bikes are worse in general.

954Fireblade 05-15-2008 08:04 PM

I don't recall ever riding in gusts this strong before. But the bike generally stayed in a straight line--it just wobbled left to right, etc. From behind it must've looked like I was losing it, but the bike seemed to be countersteering itself. I couldn't tell if the wind was blowing my body around and my arms were doing the countersteering, or the bike was doing it itself. I did get some good lean angles. Just glad the gusts weren't stronger. Wasn't real fun at all.

The_AirHawk 05-15-2008 08:48 PM

This is obviously another symptom of Global Warming, and as such all blame for it must be placed squarely on the shoulders of George Bush.

Algore warned us about him!

newagetwotone 05-15-2008 08:54 PM

I recently read an article that says that a group of researches say that we have peaked on our warming period and over the next 10years it will be leveling out and beginning to cool... imagine that the tree huggers were wrong? oh, NEVER they cant be wrong!

seruzawa 05-15-2008 09:32 PM

Ha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 185119)
This is obviously another symptom of Global Warming, and as such all blame for it must be placed squarely on the shoulders of George Bush.

You're even worse than I am! (snicker)

sarnali2 05-16-2008 07:00 AM

Why that S.O.B......

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 185119)

Back in the 80's I almost got blown off a bridge going over the Columbia River Gorge in Vantage. The area is notorious for vortex winds, my first wife and I were on my K100RS on our way to Yellowstone and we got hit first one direction then the other, we were all over the road trying to keep it up. Scared the crap out of both of us.

So even back then Boosh was causing problems eh?....that figures!

longride 05-16-2008 07:43 AM

The Chinese are busy trying to blame the latest earthquake on GB. I'm sure they will dig something up. No pun intended!

seruzawa 05-16-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 185131)
Back in the 80's I almost got blown off a bridge going over the Columbia River Gorge in Vantage. The area is notorious for vortex winds, my first wife and I were on my K100RS on our way to Yellowstone and we got hit first one direction then the other, we were all over the road trying to keep it up. Scared the crap out of both of us.

So even back then Boosh was causing problems eh?....that figures!

The world was perfect before 2000. Bush's evil mind control rays have filled your head with false memories that hide your ability to recall the idyllic times before he was president. Back then you could even come up with a clever new argument that would turn murdering terrorists into pacifists. Damm that evil Boosh!

longride 05-16-2008 08:01 AM

Maybe Bushie should work for Harley. He has 8 years of experience running an evil empire, so it should be a good fit.