Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

"As the little Germman guy on "Laugh-In" used to say, "Very interesting... but schtoopit!"

Man you are dating yourself with that one. Laugh-In was a fav of mine.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #22
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator
 
sachiwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,609
Default

Mine too. I actually met Arte Johnson, the little German guy - my Mother introduced him to me. A very nice guy who loved chocolate chip cookies.
__________________
Frappé LaRue
*Safety Queen*
Are you a Rounder?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #23
spinkick
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
Default

Actually guys, if you look at the curves, they are the same between UK and US bikes. At the very top end, the US bike falls off at 10,800 and the UK at 12k. This means that its not because of other dynos, etc. The power peeks in different locations. A power commander and ignition add on corrects the difference. So, I'm not complaining so much about the top end (the bike is crazy in the mid range, where it counts) its just odd that it is different between the countries. The epa does not even test at full throttle for these bikes, so it doesnt make sense that they would limit it for noise/pollution

Just putting it out there. Odd, and not a peep from Honda about it.
spinkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #24
spinkick
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
So what? You can kill yourself easily enough with a lot less power.
so the bikes are different between the uk and the us. Why would i want 1,000 more rpm of over-rev on my usa bike when I take it to the track? Why should I have to spend money on a power commander and ignition modual to get what the UK bikes already have? It's a mystery.
spinkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #25
spinkick
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
Default

I didn't start this thread to debate why or why I dont need the extra power, I started it to point out the disparity in power between the UK and US models. I think that its odd, and wanted to get some more eyes on it and potentially brains that work with these sorts of things more often than I do. Liter bikes are usually an awful lot "about the power" so of course I'd like to get as much as I can get my hands on

Whether I "need it" or not is immaterial to the discussion as to why/what Honda decided to do to make the bikes different from one another.

Last edited by spinkick : 05-15-2008 at 03:59 PM.
spinkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #26
vermicious
Registered Member
 
vermicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
Whether I "need it" or not is immaterial to the discussion as to why/what Honda decided to do to make the bikes different from one another.
Fair enough, but I suspect that Honda is (as you pointed out) keeping its own counsel on the subject. All any of us can do is guess.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
I didn't start this thread to debate why or why I dont need the extra power, I started it to point out the disparity in power between the UK and US models. I think that its odd, and wanted to get some more eyes on it and potentially brains that work with these sorts of things more often than I do. Liter bikes are usually an awful lot "about the power" so of course I'd like to get as much as I can get my hands on

Whether I "need it" or not is immaterial to the discussion as to why/what Honda decided to do to make the bikes different from one another.
Great. Then buy any CBR1000R and put a NOS bottle on it. Or a blower. There are always ways to get more power.

Aside from that you might try writing American Honda and see if they have an answer. Otherwise all you are getting is speculation.

Don't take MO's banter seriously. Look at it this way. People here are concerned about people getting in over their heads and whacking themselves.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #28
spinkick
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Great. Then buy any CBR1000R and put a NOS bottle on it. Or a blower. There are always ways to get more power.

Aside from that you might try writing American Honda and see if they have an answer. Otherwise all you are getting is speculation.

Don't take MO's banter seriously. Look at it this way. People here are concerned about people getting in over their heads and whacking themselves.
Sure, buy after market mods that void the warranty, OR just receive the horsepower that the bike is already capable of, but just missing. What is the big deal about wanting what they have across the pond . It seems reasonable enough. Maybe someone from Honda is reading; this is why I posted.

I can understand the concern, and I appreciate it. However, in the context of this thread its not helping so much

Put a call into honda customer service, no response as of yet.

Last edited by spinkick : 05-16-2008 at 05:42 AM.
spinkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #29
anrajala
Founding Member
 
anrajala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,490
Default

The thing is you need to be European manly man to handle all that extra power. The problem is, when you give independence to all those colonies they really go apeshyt. They think they are the bee's knees and they can do whatever.

I hope this settles it.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #30
newagetwotone
Registered Member
 
newagetwotone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
The thing is you need to be European manly man to handle all that extra power. The problem is, when you give independence to all those colonies they really go apeshyt. They think they are the bee's knees and they can do whatever.

I hope this settles it.

- cruiz-euro
Now I had a tooth pulled today and I'm pretty stoned on uber pain pills but that makes no sense what so ever.

Do you try to incite stupidity?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off