Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #71
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

I've had good luck with Craftsman tools, I also have a few Snap On's in the box. I find them OK for home use on the bikes and cars. At work we use Proto for anything over an inch and a set of Craftsman Pro series for under. One thing I like is the Allen wrench's with the ball on one end for working at angles, A lot of our Pressure and Flow Controllers and High/Low cut-outs are inside enclosures that are a beetch to get access to, the ball end lets you work at a slight angle....very clever.


As far as global warming, it's been running in cycles forever, thats why this unprecedented warming is melting glaciers only to uncover remnants of thousand year old villages and settlements. Thirty years ago these same scientists were harping about global cooling and a silent spring.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #72
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
As far as global warming, it's been running in cycles forever, thats why this unprecedented warming is melting glaciers only to uncover remnants of thousand year old villages and settlements. Thirty years ago these same scientists were harping about global cooling and a silent spring.
Dude, like everybody knows that, with the dying-out in 35-Gazillion B.C. of the Gigantus Automobilus Utilus (more-commonly known as the Prehistoric Giant SUV), the Earth's climate stabilized, and has been virtually unchanged since like, forever. It's only since the Bush Adminstration that Global Warming has reared its fugly face.

Pay no attention to that statistic-manipulator behind the beaded-curtain! I am the Great and Powerful OZ[one]!

Rising Seas!

Uncontrollable Hurricanes!

Famine!

Death!

Charlie Sheen!

Rosie O'Donnell!

Long-Lines at the Pump!

Booga-Booga!
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #73
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I am the Great and Powerful OZ[one]!
Alright, that one was pretty good!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #74
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
And what about the Boss Hoss cripple bike test for yours truly? Can we only dream?
The thing has three wheels, so it can't be a "bike" test. That said, I'm workin' on it.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:43 AM   #75
Somnus
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 38
Default

Wow seruzawa, your comment has so many flaws I hardly know where to begin.

* How many peer-reviewed scientists dispute the anthropogenic global warming consensus? A handful, pushing tendentious theories like cosmic ray cloud formation, with many others debunked.

If you had a criticism that held water, that would be a different story.

* Anecdotes != data. Data is calibrated, validated and replete. So what if it snowed in Baghdad this year? It's the entire data set that counts.

* So because we don't understand lift and lightning we should abandon science altogether? This is the same non-argument used by creationists to discredit Darwinian evolution, i.e. the "God of the gaps." Do you also think God designed the computer you're using, instead of human being who understand solid state physics and semiconductors?

***

Kenneth,

Thanks for the kind comment, and I take your point about power -- improved technology can make power more usable. However, I still think it has some downsides: uses more gas, chews up more tire, increases cost/sophistication, and pushes up insurance rates. And, can't any idiot go fast in a straight line?

I guess my view is: give me reliability and just enough power and features to do what I need to do (e.g., touring two-up), then cut weight and sharpen the handling. If tech can give more easy-to-use power without adding weight or hurting reliability, great.
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #76
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
Wow seruzawa, your comment has so many flaws I hardly know where to begin.

* How many peer-reviewed scientists dispute the anthropogenic global warming consensus? A handful, pushing tendentious theories like cosmic ray cloud formation, with many others debunked.

If you had a criticism that held water, that would be a different story.

* Anecdotes != data. Data is calibrated, validated and replete. So what if it snowed in Baghdad this year? It's the entire data set that counts.

* So because we don't understand lift and lightning we should abandon science altogether? This is the same non-argument used by creationists to discredit Darwinian evolution, i.e. the "God of the gaps." Do you also think God designed the computer you're using, instead of human being who understand solid state physics and semiconductors?

***

Kenneth,

Thanks for the kind comment, and I take your point about power -- improved technology can make power more usable. However, I still think it has some downsides: uses more gas, chews up more tire, increases cost/sophistication, and pushes up insurance rates. And, can't any idiot go fast in a straight line?

I guess my view is: give me reliability and just enough power and features to do what I need to do (e.g., touring two-up), then cut weight and sharpen the handling. If tech can give more easy-to-use power without adding weight or hurting reliability, great.

Ha! Who said to abandon science? Just come back when climate pseudo-scientists have more than conjecture based on wildly inadequate data.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:25 AM   #77
Somnus
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ha! Who said to abandon science? Just come back when climate pseudo-scientists have more than conjecture based on wildly inadequate data.
What makes you think the data is inadequate, and what would constitute adequate data in your mind?

(The data has been adequate in refuting all competing hypotheses. For example, take human CO2 emissions out of the models, and they no longer fit the climate history.)

You can't prove the absolute correctness of theories, you only falsify competing theories. Experience has shown this to work for several hundred years, so this is why I asked you whether you would abandon science.
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #78
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
You can't prove the absolute correctness of theories, you only falsify competing theories. Experience has shown this to work for several hundred years, so this is why I asked you whether you would abandon science.
OK, now you've completely LOST me - are you still talking about climate data here? If so, "several hundred years" is more than a tiny bit of exaggeration - depending on which lia... I mean: well-educated Climate Scientist you listen-to, we've got between 90 and 120 years of "reliable climate data" at the most - EVERYTHING ELSE is "anecdotal data", as you say.

Of course, the best and most-accurate of these computer-models are all based on this anecdotal-data, so they're as infallible as your Logic.

I also note you conveniently left-out any mention of the Solar Flux Dissipation and the theory that this has far-more effect on "Global Warming" (or Cooling - as we appear to have suddenly entered in the last 3-years) than anything Man has ever done to the Planet.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #79
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Airhawk, you and Seruzawa are both full of it. Just get your tanning lotion and wading boots on for the onslaught. Too bad the Main Cop on the Global Warming stage is using 10 times the fossil fuel in a month than I do in a year. I guess even he doesn't believe his own bullshyt.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #80
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Airhawk, you and Seruzawa are both full of it. Just get your tanning lotion and wading boots on for the onslaught. Too bad the Main Cop on the Global Warming stage is using 10 times the fossil fuel in a month than I do in a year. I guess even he doesn't believe his own bullshyt.
You're probably right - we should just start preparing to move to Mars after we've rendered this world too-hot to live on.

Oh wait - it's "warming up" on Mars as well! Scum-bum-an-inch! We should never have sent those Vikings and SUV's up there - we've ruined two whole Planets already!
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off