Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #111
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I would add that my wife Claire has a Ph.D as well, and is a professor at UC San Diego. She's wonderful. I consider her my "trophy wife."

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #112
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
You are wrong because the very people you cite can't agree on a correct climate model. It is not an exact science, so please quit professing such. If it was then there would be then everyone would come to the EXACT same conclusion, just as everyone knows 2 + 2 = 4. There is no argument with that simple math, yet you seem to act as if there is no argument in climate modeling. Even the most knowledgeable climate scientists would admit there are many different possiblities, variables, and analysis. All have come up with different predictions for the future. How is that possible with an exact science? It isn't possible. There is argument. There are competing theories.
Oh man, longride, when did you become the voice of reason? Are you trying to ruin our fun? We've been reeling in a big one here.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #113
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Oh man, longride, when did you become the voice of reason?"

I was trying to figure that out myself. I may never live this one down. I can't even look my children in the face!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #114
vermicious
Registered Member

For what it's worth:

I get behind the parts of the "solution" that seem to make sense to me when removed from the propaganda that initially surrounds them. Cleaner air is a great idea, better fuel economy is a wonderful notion, a renewable energy source is the cat's meow. If all parties can agree on the end goal the vitriolic huffing and puffing seems senseless.

And in so far as the various podium thumping climate pundits are concerned... I have a universal prejudice towards anyone with a singular message. It often feels to me like anything that could be construed as clear and identifiable fact is buried beneath hyperbole, exaggeration and subjective interpretation. Even assuming there aren't any ulterior motives on the part of the person(s) presenting the "facts" the schism between opposing points of view only grows wider, more extreme, and (subsequently) less rooted in reality.

Just my two cents.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #115
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
For what it's worth:

I get behind the parts of the "solution" that seem to make sense to me when removed from the propaganda that initially surrounds them. Cleaner air is a great idea, better fuel economy is a wonderful notion, a renewable energy source is the cat's meow. If all parties can agree on the end goal the vitriolic huffing and puffing seems senseless.

And in so far as the various podium thumping climate pundits are concerned... I have a universal prejudice towards anyone with a singular message. It often feels to me like anything that could be construed as clear and identifiable fact is buried beneath hyperbole, exaggeration and subjective interpretation. Even assuming there aren't any ulterior motives on the part of the person(s) presenting the "facts" the schism between opposing points of view only grows wider, more extreme, and (subsequently) less rooted in reality.

Just my two cents.
When some of the spokespersons for the GW gang start saying that people who disagree with GW should be arrested and treated as terrorists... well, that's called a clue.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #116
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
For what it's worth:

Just my two cents.

I can put a "me too" behind those staetments.

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 05-12-2008 at 12:45 PM.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #117
Fenton
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Oh man, longride, when did you become the voice of reason?"

I was trying to figure that out myself. I may never live this one down. I can't even look my children in the face!

My google alarm goes off when "Longride" and "Reason" are used in the same sentence on any forum.
Hello all.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #118
Fenton
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
I've just tried to fight the good fight here for critical thought.

I didn't just read that.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #119
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

How's it going? Any new bike purchases?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #120
Fenton
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
How's it going? Any new bike purchases?

For some reason the credit companies like you to be employed. I guess the "but I have more time to ride a new bike" logic doesn't work.
I'm like Spalding in Caddy Shack; I'm gonna have a speed triple and a Multistrada and a GS and a FJR.......