Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
All I know is that my 52 year-old can won't stay in the saddle for more than 90 minutes at a time.

I'd get a better seat, but my legs and neck (and most everything else) are screaming for a break at about the same time.

And don't get me started on what it's like if it gets cold, like below 55 degrees!
Couldn't you just grab a sack full of cocaine and do it that way? What's the big deal?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Couldn't you just grab a sack full of cocaine and do it that way? What's the big deal?
You're thinking about the Iron Nose Association rally.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
You're thinking about the Iron Nose Association rally.
Besides, meth is probably cheaper.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #15
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
"Cocaine is a heluva Drug.............."

-Supa' Freak
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
pdad13
Founding Member

I think we have the makings of the next MO comparo.

Last edited by pdad13 : 05-02-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Anti-social disorder with narcissistic tendencies
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
I think we have the makings of the next MO comparo.
Only if we toss in some chronics for a control group. They'll only make it to the first rest stop and spend the rest of the time clearing out the vending machines.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:23 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Not a damned bit of difference in this or the Iron Butt Rally. This guy is at least telling the truth.
What's irksome are the bs excuses. EVERYONE knows ironbutters are speeding. Actually I don't care one bit. Modern motorcycles are entirely safe on the Interstates at 90mph. Most rural interstate speed limits are total bs. I speed all the time, so what? If I get caught I just pay the fine and act a little more carefully. So why all the excuses? No one is fooling anyone.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #19
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
What's irksome are the bs excuses. EVERYONE knows ironbutters are speeding.
Well. Of course we speed. As you said, everyone does. If you don't, you're not even keeping up with traffic in most places.

But many here seem to assume that speeding is necessary to do the kinds of distances that IB riders do. It just isn't so, and in fact going faster (at a certain point at least) can have a detrimental effect on your performance, because it kills your fuel mileage. Last year I rode up to Pocatello, Idaho from San Diego. 913 miles, easy one day ride. I got on the 15 a mile from my door and didn't get off until I was in Pocatello. It took me just over 13 hours. Most of the way, the speed limit was 75. The prevailing speed (except in Salt Lake City, blah) was 85, and that is pretty much what I did. And my mileage tanked, it totally tanked. I normally can get about 170-185 miles out of a tank of gas, but on this trip I was getting about 130-145. I was *barely* getting a benefit out of running at 85. If I had tried for higher speeds yet, I suspect I would have been eating away at my time, not gaining.

By comparison, on the BunBurner I did last year, my partner (another woman) and I trucked along at about 75. We were well ahead of a 1500 in 24 pace - which is just under 63 mph - until I ran into some electrical problems outside Flagstaff and wasted 45 minutes or so trying to figure it out (I didn't and just about froze my ass on the rest of the ride.) The point is, high speeds are just not required when you know how to manage your time, and experienced IBA riders know that those high speeds can be detrimental.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:43 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"By the way, anyone who pulls out the "political correctness" nonsense has, in my opinion, shown that he doesn't have any valid arguments."

My arguments are certainly more valid than yours. You already you admit you speed. All you need to do is admit that sleep deprivation is part of it too. Too bad the lying Iron Butt people can't admit it. The Gov corraled the truck driving industry long ago because everyone that drove a truck figured out if you don't sleep much and speed lots you make more miles, and more money. Certainly those things dont' work for the Iron Butt riders, eh? Tell your PC Iron Butt people to start telling the truth, and until then they are just plain full of shyt, and I almost forgot POLITICALLY CORRECT TOO! You forgot I paid my 50, so I get to give you crap with impunity!

Last edited by longride : 05-04-2008 at 03:55 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote