Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   State-of-the-Cruiser Address (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7908-state-cruiser-address.html)

Administrator 04-28-2008 04:00 PM

State-of-the-Cruiser Address

Original Article:
State-of-the-Cruiser Address

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article State-of-the-Cruiser Address in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 04-28-2008 05:00 PM

Chinese Harley starter bikes...

...designed in Japan and built in China. One way to stick it to the union, eh wot?

TheFox 04-28-2008 06:29 PM

Looks like you mixed up the QLINK and Victory captions.

The_AirHawk 04-28-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ziemer
Ziemer added that Harley with reduce shipments through temporary plant shutdowns and adjustments to daily production rates. This will result in a decrease of about 370 unionized employees over the next several months.

“The company will also be reducing the non-production workforce by about 360 jobs,” said Ziemer. “We believe these actions will better position the company for a business environment that we expect to continue to be challenging.”

Translated: "We fired all the Janitors, Groundskeepers, and Secretaries. Except for my personal "Secretary" - Lot'a FaChina......."

pdad13 04-28-2008 11:07 PM

This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. We've been talking about this for three years, at least. Demographics can't be wished away. The manufacturers will have to adjust. There will always be a relatively healthy cruiser market in the U.S. but it can't be expected to match the boom of the recent past.

Personally, I know of several cruiser riders who are considering more performance oriented bikes, including one long-time H-D enthusiast (and these guys ain't real young, either). It seems like some people who start on cruisers or who have been riding them for a while are becoming more curious about sportier bikes. I don't know if this constitutes any kind of significant trend, but it seems like a few are starting to go opposite the usual sport-to-cruiser migration.

vermicious 04-29-2008 03:16 AM

I resemble that remark -- except that I'm only 34.

Buzglyd 04-29-2008 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdad13 (Post 183493)
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. We've been talking about this for three years, at least. Demographics can't be wished away. The manufacturers will have to adjust. There will always be a relatively healthy cruiser market in the U.S. but it can't be expected to match the boom of the recent past.

Personally, I know of several cruiser riders who are considering more performance oriented bikes, including one long-time H-D enthusiast (and these guys ain't real young, either). It seems like some people who start on cruisers or who have been riding them for a while are becoming more curious about sportier bikes. I don't know if this constitutes any kind of significant trend, but it seems like a few are starting to go opposite the usual sport-to-cruiser migration.

Where ya been P? The city put some kind of limitation on how many times a year locals can post on the internet?

seruzawa 04-29-2008 08:13 AM

“Cruiser ownership is the last stage of the evolution of motorcyclists,” said Glenn Hansen, American Suzuki’s communication’s manager. “A kid starts with a dirt bike; then a sportbike, then a cruiser."

You wish.

12er 04-29-2008 08:21 AM

I do not forsee a 24 inch seat height in my future.

pdad13 04-29-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 183504)
Where ya been P? The city put some kind of limitation on how many times a year locals can post on the internet?

You mean here in the Great Soviet Republic of New York? (Glory to the workers!)Nah, Bloomy couldn't even manage to get "congestion pricing," aka "a$$ raping," passed. Although, it's still the land of Starbucks and group-think.

I've been kind of busy and, since I've been working in the digital space, I was a bit burned out on the Web. Good to see some improvements on this site.

I let my subscription lapse. Look at my Founding Member icon. It used to be a sunny orange Premium jobby. Now it looks like an effing tombstone. They trying to tell me something?

But I did miss all the pissing, moaning and sporadic encrusted hilarity here.

Just picked up my new Daytona 675 on Saturday. Yippee!