Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Which is best 2-up - BMW 650 GS or Aprilia Pegaso 650 Trail ?

Planning our honey moon in Costa Rica and I'm considering renting a bike for us for a week instead of a car as I heard the roads can be pretty rough and more suited to a bike, not to mention it could be fun

So far the options I found are:

KTM 640 LC4
BWM 650 GS
Aprilia Pegaso 650 Trail

All the same $540 / week price (though I haven't really price shopped yet)

Anyway from looking at them I'm guessing I'd want either the BMW or the Aprilia but since I'm the motorcycle nut and she is less so I'd like to opt for the one that's gonna be most comfortable for the passenger.

Anyone know?

Thanks.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
Planning our honey moon in Costa Rica and I'm considering renting a bike for us for a week instead of a car as I heard the roads can be pretty rough and more suited to a bike, not to mention it could be fun

So far the options I found are:

KTM 640 LC4
BWM 650 GS
Aprilia Pegaso 650 Trail

All the same $540 / week price (though I haven't really price shopped yet)

Anyway from looking at them I'm guessing I'd want either the BMW or the Aprilia but since I'm the motorcycle nut and she is less so I'd like to opt for the one that's gonna be most comfortable for the passenger.

Anyone know?

Thanks.
It will be interesting if you find even one person that has ridden all those with a passenger.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Trick question- Same bike. Different plastic.
Rotax motor. Aprilia sourced frame. Slightly different front forks but I believe the rear shock is the same. It's a matter of parts availability and ease of re-sale- I'd go GS. If it's looks and you want to keep it for a while- Aprilia.

Kirk

KTM is fun but serves a different function than the other two.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Trick question- Same bike. Different plastic.
Rotax motor. Aprilia sourced frame. Slightly different front forks but I believe the rear shock is the same. It's a matter of parts availability and ease of re-sale- I'd go GS. If it's looks and you want to keep it for a while- Aprilia.

Kirk

KTM is fun but serves a different function than the other two.
I'd just be renting it, cool I might got aprilia then if they're the same... I have an aprilia street bike and I like Italian styling though honestly both look pretty ugly to me heh.
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Old 04-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

There's a middleweight bike comparo here on MO done a few years back that includes the BMW Rotax 650. You might give it a read.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I've ridden a Pegaso and an older GS - both rode and accelerated similar, but the brakes on the GS felt like two planks lashed to the front fork with an old manila rope.

Remember Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom ? 'Member that Minecart scene where he hopped-out and pushed on the brake with his foot? Thought I was gonna have to do that a few times with the GS.

"Wooden" is precisely the feel.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
There's a middleweight bike comparo here on MO done a few years back that includes the BMW Rotax 650. You might give it a read.
Well I was part of that comparo, but I never had a passenger.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Well I was part of that comparo, but I never had a passenger.
Good luck finding motorcycle road tests anywhere with passenger data more than once or twice a year.

I know that I do see them occasionally touring along I-15 two up. Once I saw one two up with New York plates and a full load of luggage. So they got to be somewhat capable at it.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
jamesdemien
Registered Member

I've ridden them all... Yeah the Aprilia and the BMW are pretty close to the same bike. I own a 640a now and it sucks 2 up... I've removed the pegs.

I'd go with the BMW. I always trade the KTM with my buddy when I want to take the girl and it seems to work the best. You have to sit to far forward on the KTM 2 up. The bigger GS would be nice but more of a handful if you're on gravel.

All of them have enough power. I just think the f650 is set up better for a passenger.

Who are you renting from...I'm interested in a similar trip (solo) and I'd love to ride a KTM down there.
jamesdemien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Good luck finding motorcycle road tests anywhere with passenger data more than once or twice a year.

I know that I do see them occasionally touring along I-15 two up. Once I saw one two up with New York plates and a full load of luggage. So they got to be somewhat capable at it.
Yea that's why I didn't even bother looking for reviews on passenger comfort.

Kinda sad they exclude that from 99% of the reviews. I think maybe I'll go to the motorcycle shop with my fiancee and sit on a few, it's a good excuse to go look at all the shinny bikes anyway. I know just sitting on them won't tell us everything but might be a little informative.

Around town we actually ride 2-up on my RS250 sometimes so anything is gonna be better than that, heh but for long trips we borrow an FJR1300.
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio