Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default If this don't stir the pot....

JS Online: Seat swap: New motorcycle means more risk

.... then nothing will.

So, what is the safest type of bike again?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
newagetwotone
Registered Member

"CruiZas are safe! Sports Bikerz are dangerous, buy a Harley!" what a bunch of crap
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

First an earthquake in Illinois and now Mt. St. Helen is going to blow again.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
ejis
Founding Member

Wow - they needed a study to determine that using something unfamiliar increases the likelihood of mistakes.

Best quote: '...If you twist the throttle that much on a sport bike, crazy things can happen," he said.'
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Even riders who successfully complete motorcycle safety classes are likely to crash if the bike they buy is much different than the one they learned on, said Rick Breuer, owner of Learning Curves Racing, a Milwaukee riding school.

"They take classes and do really well on a 250-cc (small) street bike and then go out and buy the biggest Harley they can possibly find. I expect them to almost fall down immediately just because of the differences in weight and because they don't have the respect for those giant bikes," Breuer said.

"There's nothing inherently more dangerous about large motorcycles. It's the rider that makes the difference," said Mary Donovan-Popa, owner of Motorcycling Enterprises Inc., a Milwaukee riding school.

"Every bike has its own personality. Unless you familiarize yourself with that, you are looking for trouble," she said.
Yet the article insinuates that there IS something inherently dangerous about sportbikes.

Cruisers and Sportbikes are BOTH Dangerous - just in slightly-different ways. That "Respect for the Motorcycle" thing goes all the way around, regardless of moto-type.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

That's why you need a Harley and a sporty bike, To keep your skills sharp. The obvious solution is to ride everyday and switch off, ride the sport bike during the week where it's acceleration braking and handling, better tires etc are of value and ride the Harley in the evenings or weekends when you can relax and enjoy the scenery.

Works for me anyway.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
That's why you need a Harley and a sporty bike, To keep your skills sharp. The obvious solution is to ride everyday and switch off, ride the sport bike during the week where it's acceleration braking and handling, better tires etc are of value and ride the Harley in the evenings or weekends when you can relax and enjoy the scenery.

Works for me anyway.......
Damm straight. And you need a DP bike too for when you see interesting dirt roads. And come to think of it you need a touring bike for those extra long weekends. Oh yeah and you also need a.......
Old 04-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
"CruiZas are safe! Sports Bikerz are dangerous, buy a Harley!" what a bunch of crap
I'm just trying to give you the facts and data.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

No DP bike I'm afraid, the Bandit does OK on logging roads though!

Maybe I can trade it in on a Vstrom...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default ...there he goes again....

Yes, I have to agree with my shipmates that you should own ALL TYPES OF MOTORCYCLES. Good ones, bad ones, slow ones, ones with rotten brakes, inherent strange handling issues (hear that Eric?)quick ones and blindingly fast ones.

Then you can sort it all out for youself and see what keeps you sharp.

The perferct motorcycle in my jaundiced noggin would be a street legal ported CR500R Honda with a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket, a 38 tooth rear sprocket, and a 5 gallon gas tank.

That would be the complete opposite of my other perfect motorcycle, a 1953 Salsbury Auto-Scooter.

Then there's the Chang Jiang...and the moto mofoonie, Alstate twingle...GoDevil....etc..etc..