Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Remember, BMW pricing is more competitive over in Europe than it is here. For better or worse.
I keep hearing that and for all I know it's true but it is also immaterial. Urals are cheaper in Russia. So what? I don't live there and couldn't care less. It won't help US BMW dealers to tell 20-somethings, "I know it's $14K here but it's only $12k in Europe!" They'll bye the Gixxers anyhow.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #22
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Of course, but it explains why BMW continues with the designs and pricing that it has.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Of course, but it explains why BMW continues with the designs and pricing that it has.
Sorry, but it doesn't. Why does BMW charge more for bikes sold in the US? I've yet to hear an explanation. Because they can? Revenge for WWII? Maybe it's reverse dumping. We are subsidizing the euro riders. Why not? We seem to subsidize about every other country in the world.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #24
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Sorry, but it doesn't. Why does BMW charge more for bikes sold in the US? I've yet to hear an explanation. Because they can? Revenge for WWII? Maybe it's reverse dumping. We are subsidizing the euro riders. Why not? We seem to subsidize about every other country in the world.
Maybe I'm being stupid here but.. um... tariffs?
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
Maybe I'm being stupid here but.. um... tariffs?
Good guess, but Japanese bikes face the same tariffs.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #26
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Triumph pretty well blows them out of the water with their pricing structure. Labor and general costs in England are every bit as expensive as in Germany, plus BMW is part of a major corporation and has been in business since the 20's. Triumph is more or less a labor of love for a real estate developer yet their bikes are consistantly more reliable, more competitive in their individual market niche's and less expensive......

BMW has been resting on the reputation the airhead and early K models built for the last decade or so, time for them to come back down to earth.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #27
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Good guess, but Japanese bikes face the same tariffs.
Must be zeh monacle subsidies fur all zose German engineers zen
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #28
jamesdemien
Registered Member

That thing looks awesome...cant wait
jamesdemien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #29
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Even if the performance is competitive, which it may well be, and even if the price is close to competitive, which it won't be, the Gixxerkids won't buy it because BMW is perceived as an old man's bike, and the BMW guys won't buy it because, well, they are old men.

Seems like moronic marketing to me. Perhaps BMW is after some sort of "halo" marketing strategy to shake the old man's bike label. Good luck with that. Trix are for kids. BMWs are for function comes first minded old guys with fat wallets. I recall BMW's last attempt at a serious sport bike. At least this one looks sharp, not like a beached whale like the old K1200S. No doubt it will meet the same fate though.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #30
jamesdemien
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Even if the performance is competitive, which it may well be, and even if the price is close to competitive, which it won't be, the Gixxerkids won't buy it because BMW is perceived as an old man's bike, and the BMW guys won't buy it because, well, they are old men.
Not all of us BMW guys are old men. We'll I'm 33 but thats not really old is it?

Yes, I agree BMW is trying to shake the notion that they only make bikes for old dudes. I think that 10 years ago it was sort of true but the bikes in the last couple of years have been awesome.

Go ride one sometime, you'll be impressed.
jamesdemien is offline   Reply With Quote