Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 BMW S1000RR Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7813-2009-bmw-s1000rr-preview.html)

seruzawa 04-23-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 183114)
Remember, BMW pricing is more competitive over in Europe than it is here. For better or worse.

I keep hearing that and for all I know it's true but it is also immaterial. Urals are cheaper in Russia. So what? I don't live there and couldn't care less. It won't help US BMW dealers to tell 20-somethings, "I know it's $14K here but it's only $12k in Europe!" They'll bye the Gixxers anyhow.

sachiwilson 04-23-2008 03:07 PM

Of course, but it explains why BMW continues with the designs and pricing that it has.

seruzawa 04-23-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 183119)
Of course, but it explains why BMW continues with the designs and pricing that it has.

Sorry, but it doesn't. Why does BMW charge more for bikes sold in the US? I've yet to hear an explanation. Because they can? Revenge for WWII? Maybe it's reverse dumping. We are subsidizing the euro riders. Why not? We seem to subsidize about every other country in the world.

vermicious 04-23-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 183120)
Sorry, but it doesn't. Why does BMW charge more for bikes sold in the US? I've yet to hear an explanation. Because they can? Revenge for WWII? Maybe it's reverse dumping. We are subsidizing the euro riders. Why not? We seem to subsidize about every other country in the world.

Maybe I'm being stupid here but.. um... tariffs?

seruzawa 04-24-2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vermicious (Post 183141)
Maybe I'm being stupid here but.. um... tariffs?

Good guess, but Japanese bikes face the same tariffs.

sarnali2 04-24-2008 07:15 AM

Triumph pretty well blows them out of the water with their pricing structure. Labor and general costs in England are every bit as expensive as in Germany, plus BMW is part of a major corporation and has been in business since the 20's. Triumph is more or less a labor of love for a real estate developer yet their bikes are consistantly more reliable, more competitive in their individual market niche's and less expensive......

BMW has been resting on the reputation the airhead and early K models built for the last decade or so, time for them to come back down to earth.

vermicious 04-24-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 183149)
Good guess, but Japanese bikes face the same tariffs.

Must be zeh monacle subsidies fur all zose German engineers zen ;-)

jamesdemien 04-24-2008 01:23 PM

That thing looks awesome...cant wait

Duken4evr 04-24-2008 04:14 PM

Even if the performance is competitive, which it may well be, and even if the price is close to competitive, which it won't be, the Gixxerkids won't buy it because BMW is perceived as an old man's bike, and the BMW guys won't buy it because, well, they are old men. :D

Seems like moronic marketing to me. Perhaps BMW is after some sort of "halo" marketing strategy to shake the old man's bike label. Good luck with that. Trix are for kids. BMWs are for function comes first minded old guys with fat wallets. I recall BMW's last attempt at a serious sport bike. At least this one looks sharp, not like a beached whale like the old K1200S. No doubt it will meet the same fate though.

jamesdemien 04-25-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 183268)
Even if the performance is competitive, which it may well be, and even if the price is close to competitive, which it won't be, the Gixxerkids won't buy it because BMW is perceived as an old man's bike, and the BMW guys won't buy it because, well, they are old men. :D

Not all of us BMW guys are old men. We'll I'm 33 but thats not really old is it?

Yes, I agree BMW is trying to shake the notion that they only make bikes for old dudes. I think that 10 years ago it was sort of true but the bikes in the last couple of years have been awesome.

Go ride one sometime, you'll be impressed.