Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Besides, you can't seperate seeds on a CD cover without spilling them all over the couch.
They suck for dustpans too...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
pushrod
Founding Member

And the zipper on the 'Sticky Fingers' album wouldn't work at all on a CD.

But hey! CDs are now on the way to obsolescence. Pretty soon there will be no such thing as a record store, or even a movie rental joint!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
What are you using to do it? One of those USB turntables? Roxio Spin Dr?
I still have the Sansui turntable and Sansui amplifier I bought in Japan in 1970. I play the record on the turntable and use patchcords from the aux_out to the mike input on my soundcard. I use Wavepad software to save the music as a wav file. Wavepad will do click/pop suppression on the sound and save the files in mp3 format as well as wav. It works pretty good. You just have to remember that those analog recordings need equalization processing because the digital players of today don't have the treble and bass controls we used to use to make the vinyls sound good. There is a sound processing suite that came with my motherboard's built in sound card that does that.

In some ways I do like the analog sound better.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I still have the Sansui turntable and Sansui amplifier I bought in Japan in 1970. I play the record on the turntable and use patchcords from the aux_out to the mike input on my soundcard. I use Wavepad software to save the music as a wav file. Wavepad will do click/pop suppression on the sound and save the files in mp3 format as well as wav. It works pretty good. You just have to remember that those analog recordings need equalization processing because the digital players of today don't have the treble and bass controls we used to use to make the vinyls sound good. There is a sound processing suite that came with my motherboard's built in sound card that does that.

In some ways I do like the analog sound better.
I think Roxio Spin Dr can do the same kind of thing. I was at Best Buy and saw a turntable that hooked up via USB and came with software for doing what you're doing. It wasn't that expensive.

Nowadays, downloads are so cheap that if I really want an old album, I'll just download it or I'll go on eBay and buy a used cd for a buck.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I think Roxio Spin Dr can do the same kind of thing. I was at Best Buy and saw a turntable that hooked up via USB and came with software for doing what you're doing. It wasn't that expensive.

Nowadays, downloads are so cheap that if I really want an old album, I'll just download it or I'll go on eBay and buy a used cd for a buck.
Good luck finding stuff like The Insect Trust, Cactus, Tonto's Expanding Head Band, Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer Live, Fripp and Eno, 801 Live.... etc. If you do find them they are like $35 or more, imports etc. Since I have the music already I see no need to pay for it again.

It's something to do in the winter, anyhow. Not much else to do in the Utah winter except load ammunition in preparation for visits from the Child Protective Agency.....
Old 04-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #26
pushrod
Founding Member

'Good luck finding stuff like The Insect Trust, Cactus, Tonto's Expanding Head Band, Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer Live, Fripp and Eno, 801 Live.... etc.'

Nektar, ELO, Manzanera, Budgie, Nazz, Supertramp, Talking Heads, Devo, Dixie Dregs, Mother's Finest, Alan Parsons Project...

Man, I could stay busy for a while!

I suppose they make a module that allows you to connect your analog turntable to a USB, eh?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
'Good luck finding stuff like The Insect Trust, Cactus, Tonto's Expanding Head Band, Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer Live, Fripp and Eno, 801 Live.... etc.'

Nektar, ELO, Manzanera, Budgie, Nazz, Supertramp, Talking Heads, Devo, Dixie Dregs, Mother's Finest, Alan Parsons Project...

Man, I could stay busy for a while!

I suppose they make a module that allows you to connect your analog turntable to a USB, eh?
You could connect a turntable directly, however the only issue would be the ground wire. My turntable has the little wire that runs to the back of the receiver. The newer receivers don't even have a phono input so I wonder if you just clip the wire on the back somewhere?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #28
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You can get 99% of them on CD from Amazon.com. Most of my LP's got lost in the shuffle the way I used to bounce around. I still have a couple of Jethro Tull, Yes, Al Stewart, Golden Earing..Kozmic Blues and Big Brother and the Holding co.. My real treasure is my Spinners and Clancey Bros w Tommy Makem LP's, all live recordings of sea chanty's and English and Irish folk music from concerts in the 60's from Liverpool and Ireland ,. Brilliant irreplacable stuff I'd love to put all those on CD

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
You could connect a turntable directly, however the only issue would be the ground wire. My turntable has the little wire that runs to the back of the receiver. The newer receivers don't even have a phono input so I wonder if you just clip the wire on the back somewhere?
I tried hooking up the turntable directly but I got better sound reproduction by using the pre-amp function between the turntable and the sound input.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #30
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I play the record on the turntable and use patchcords from the aux_out to the mike input on my soundcard. I use Wavepad software to save the music as a wav file. Wavepad will do click/pop suppression on the sound and save the files in mp3 format as well as wav. It works pretty good. You just have to remember that those analog recordings need equalization processing because the digital players of today don't have the treble and bass controls we used to use to make the vinyls sound good. There is a sound processing suite that came with my motherboard's built in sound card that does that.
What about the part where the mouse eats the cheese and that makes the marble roll down the drain pipe which causes the guy to hop off the diving board and....