Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 1
Default 2008 Triumph Urban Sports Review


Original Article:
2008 Triumph Urban Sports Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Triumph Urban Sports Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

As much as I'd like to say something about the filthy British and their filthy ways, I'll pass this time to ask a question:

What are the qualifiers for an "Urban Sports" motorcycle? There's a wide variety of bikes in this review: ST, DS, etc., so what is the common thread that earns the moniker?

Also, I'm hereby officially coining the phrase "Urban Assualt Cycle." That is a DS bike with street tires that will jump curbs and plow lawns rather than hop over logs and ride trails.

PS: Great write up.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

If you exclude cruisers from the mix, Triumph is the only manufacturer in the world that has a line up of bikes any of which I would be more than happy to own. If I had $10K or so to spend I'd find it nearly impossible to choose between the S3, Tiger and SprintST... or the 675s or the Bonnevilles or Scramblers. Well, I'd probably prefer one of the 1050s but I'd be happy to have any of the others.

And now they make the only real sporttourer too. Cool.

Triumph shows that it can be done. Too bad Indian and such don't have a clue.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If you exclude cruisers from the mix, Triumph is the only manufacturer in the world that has a line up of bikes any of which I would be more than happy to own. If I had $10K or so to spend I'd find it nearly impossible to choose between the S3, Tiger and SprintST... or the 675s or the Bonnevilles or Scramblers. Well, I'd probably prefer one of the 1050s but I'd be happy to have any of the others.

And now they make the only real sporttourer too. Cool.

Triumph shows that it can be done. Too bad Indian and such don't have a clue.
Even their cruisers are interesting. I'm not going to buy the Rocket, but it is different. And the America and Speedmaster are interesting as well.

I really like the Sixty8 gear they have.

I'd take a Bonneville with a bunch of accessories, a scrambler, StreetTriple, Tiger (especially now that they dropped those oversized tiger scratch decals off the gas tank) an ST, and Speedmaster.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
As much as I'd like to say something about the filthy British and their filthy ways, I'll pass this time to ask a question:

What are the qualifiers for an "Urban Sports" motorcycle? There's a wide variety of bikes in this review: ST, DS, etc., so what is the common thread that earns the moniker?

Also, I'm hereby officially coining the phrase "Urban Assualt Cycle." That is a DS bike with street tires that will jump curbs and plow lawns rather than hop over logs and ride trails.

PS: Great write up.
The Urban Assualt Cycle to which you refer: they call them Supermoto. BMW likes Megamoto. So, start writing letters to all the cycle publications and by 2010 you should see your name take off like wild fire.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Thank you, Sir! May I have another?
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Thank you, Sir! May I have another?
I'd take any Buell too! Too bad I'm such a cheap b@stard.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:25 AM   #8
JmalB
Premium Member

 
JmalB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 81
Default

One Street Triple to go, please.
JmalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,484
Default

So if I had to sum up what you said it would be that Triumphs are at the top of your list of bikes that you will never own??
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
So if I had to sum up what you said it would be that Triumphs are at the top of your list of bikes that you will never own??
No, no, no, not at all. Seruzawa will simply have to wait 5-10 years for one of the above mentioned bikes to show up used within his $3000-$4000 price range.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off