Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 4V preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7546-2008-moto-guzzi-stelvio-1200-4v-preview.html)

Administrator 03-19-2008 08:39 AM

2008 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 4V preview

Original Article:
2008 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 4V preview

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 4V preview in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pushrod 03-19-2008 09:39 AM

What's not to like?

Similar in looks and performance to a V-Strom, with (all relative to Suzuki) iffy parts support, less-than-stellar reliability, a limited dealer network and for only $6k more (MSRPs)!

Oh, it probably will cook your feet, too.

Sign me up!

bbtowns 03-19-2008 09:48 AM

I like the idea, though Pushrod has some good points. Plus the article didn't mention it, but on another site I saw it only has a 4.8gallon tank. Unless the mileage is really exceptional (55 mpg), that's going to be a bit limiting. I regularly use 225 miles/tank on my Strom going to out of the way places, and have a bit of gas left over for safety. I've got to think it's only putting out about 80 hp at the rear wheel, certainly liveable and enough for an adventure tourer, and comparable to the GS, but not outstanding.

pplassm 03-19-2008 09:55 AM

105 HP at 75 RPM is AMAZING!

seruzawa 03-19-2008 10:45 AM

For those who may be interested in a Guzzi the dealer in Boisie, Id has a new Breva1100 for $7,500. He had two but my friend who already owns 7 BMWs went and bought one.

As far as this new Guzzi goes it's certainly weird when small run Italian bikes come in at the same price as Beemers.

Kenneth_Moore 03-19-2008 01:34 PM

I think this whole Dual Sport thing is just a fad like choppers. WAKE UP!! SPORTBIKES RULE!!!

sarnali2 03-19-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 180918)
I think this whole Dual Sport thing is just a fad like choppers. WAKE UP!! SPORTBIKES RULE!!!

I'm sorry but you are completely insane, the shop built catalog custom barely ridable $75k chromed suppository saddled 750 mm rear tired rolling art work that is a T.V. watching sidewalk commando's dream is the very pinnacle of motorcycle cool and will thus never be supplanted by some carbon fibered BNG'd track-bike-with-wheels suitable only for anorexics and 85 lb Spaniards.....

Sportbikes are done for, it's Bad Azz (tm) choppers that rule the streets of A'murica !!!!!!!!!

The_AirHawk 03-19-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2
Sportbikes are done for, it's Bad Azz (tm) choppers that rule the streets of A'murica !!!!!!!!!

Buy American!

(that is, unless you can get your chrome parts made cheaper via mainland China)

sarnali2 03-19-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 180928)
Buy American!

(that is, unless you can get your chrome parts made cheaper via mainland China)

Dam* right, that's what makes America what it is today !!

Rossocorrecto 03-19-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 180893)
What's not to like?

Similar in looks and performance to a V-Strom, with (all relative to Suzuki) iffy parts support, less-than-stellar reliability, a limited dealer network and for only $6k more (MSRPs)!

Oh, it probably will cook your feet, too.

Sign me up!

Quite right, if you're happy with your V-strom, you don't need a Guzzi. If, on the other hand, you have a taste for Italian and happen to think that a push rod motor that will last for over 100K miles without weekly visits to the dealer (the other italian brand) then you might want to try the Guzzi.

If price is the criteria, buy Japanese (maybe next year Chinese). But if you want something that's unique, but well sorted and reliable (think tractor) and money's not the object, you should try it before you knock it.

If everyone wanted the same thing, the line would be very long.