Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #11
anrajala
Founding Member

You have "no streetbike experience"? What, your VTX is for off-road use only? Must be one of them gringo things. Like the handball game you guys call football.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
ejis
Founding Member

Don't know what your price point is, but a bike like the Ducati Multistrada or Triumph Tiger (current iteration) has plenty of performance and plenty of room. The Suzuki SV1000 is a little more roomy than a full-on sport bike, and if you can find a naked version with real handlebars/lower controls, it's even better.

Then again, if you liked the CBR, why not just get one of those?
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
You have "no streetbike experience"? What, your VTX is for off-road use only? Must be one of them gringo things. Like the handball game you guys call football.

- cruiz-euro
Do Euro motorcycle riders fake injuries the same way Euro football players do?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

There's plenty of choices.. Bandit, FZ1, 919, ZRX, Speedy Triple.. all will work just fine. The ergo's on the ZRX and Bandito will be the most comfy, the FZ1 and S3 a little more extreme with the Honda about in the middle.

Ditto what Longride said, the a/o cooled Bandit is cheap and effective, as buildable as a small block Chevy and reliable as a brick, my '02 1200 S hauls my ass around pretty quick and I'm 6 ft. waay more than 200 lbs.....everytime I think of selling it I just hit my thumb with a hammer, cures that bit a' stupidity pretty quick... You shouldn't have any trouble on one.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
There's plenty of choices.. Bandit, FZ1, 919, ZRX, Speedy Triple.. all will work just fine. The ergo's on the ZRX and Bandito will be the most comfy, the FZ1 and S3 a little more extreme with the Honda about in the middle.

Ditto what Longride said, the a/o cooled Bandit is cheap and effective, as buildable as a small block Chevy and reliable as a brick, my '02 1200 S hauls my ass around pretty quick and I'm 6 ft. waay more than 200 lbs.....everytime I think of selling it I just hit my thumb with a hammer, cures that bit a' stupidity pretty quick... You shouldn't have any trouble on one.
Aprilia Tuono. End of story.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #16
pushrod
Founding Member

LongRide,

No plug for the Hayabusa?

I'd have jumped in on the Triumph Tiger recommendation, but I was beaten to it.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #17
ejis
Founding Member

Another possibility - sportbikes have become more "focused" over the years. If you look at a late 90's early 00's liter or 3/4 litre bike, the ergos will be much more relaxed than the current iteration. Take look at a CBR929/954 or a ZX9R.

There's also the VFR - I don't know how I forgot that one before. It's highly capable with a much more relaxed riding position than any dedicated sportbike. In the same vein, Triumph has the Sprint.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yeah, get a guy with no street experience to speak of a Busa. Nice guy you are Pushrod!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #19
Zachery
Registered Member

I think the very knowledgable motorcycle.com moderators have covered the bases here (as usual). For taller guys the old ZX-9R was a good choice cause it was big boned. Having sit on one once I would definitely agree. The SV1000 is good choice if you like V-Twins. Everything else (sporbikes that is) past 2003 or so have pretty track/sport focused ergos. Even a average guy like me (5'11") has trouble getting a good fit. The old Ninjas (pre 2002) were pretty comfy. A VFR is a good choice but many call it a sports tourer. Although I have seen many VFR riders kick ass on them including mine. The problem with VFRs is that folks hold on to them a long long time (i.e. older riders using them as tour bikes). So if you see one it will probably be a few years older than the used full-on sportbikes. I know cause I have been looking for a 2-3 year old one and can't find one. I can easily find high mileage 4-5 year old VFRs. It could be just the Seattle area though you might have better luck where you are.
Zachery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #20
pushrod
Founding Member

LongRide,

I'm the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet!

The guy was asking for recommendations for a liter-bike, fer cryin' out loud!

A land spear is a land spear! The 'Busa seems to have decent ergoes for a bigger guy. Especially if he has long arms. What do you think, having been there?

And the windscreen seems to work well with ballcaps worn backwards, judging from the ones I see toodling around here.

Like I said, I'd put him on a 1050 Tiger. A white one. Ohhhh yessss!

Zachery - Heck with the VFR! Get a Sprint ST! It's the same bike, only a LOT better!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote