Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #31
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Hmm. You've never tried a rally with bonuses, have you? Or one of the IBA's "extreme" rides such as a Bun Burner Gold?

Riding 1K is not too hard. Riding 1K in 24 hours (a "saddlesore") is a piece of cake - you need to average only 42 mph over that time to complete a saddlesore ride. A Bun Burner is 1500 miles in 36 hours - same average speed, and most people who do this can even get 6 or 7 hours of sleep in the middle. But one of the extreme rides takes planning and skill. A BB Gold is 1500 miles in 24 hours. You need to average 63 mph for the 24 hours to succeed. It's not at all hard to ride at 65 mph for that time, and it's certainly not illegal. What you need to do, though, is keep your stops short and infrequent. The guys (and women) who do these rides know how to do that, and are able to ride safely throughout.

LR, I know you are an opinionated cuss. But you don't know jack shyt about IBA style riding.
I think his point is that riding is for pleasure. Filling my gas tank quickly and eating a protein bar and getting out of the parking lot in 4 minutes isn't my idea of fun either. I've done plenty of 500-600 mile days myself but only out of necessity.

I prefer 300-400 so I can stop and smell the roses a bit.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I think his point is that riding is for pleasure. Filling my gas tank quickly and eating a protein bar and getting out of the parking lot in 4 minutes isn't my idea of fun either. I've done plenty of 500-600 mile days myself but only out of necessity.

I prefer 300-400 so I can stop and smell the roses a bit.
Whatever strokes your oar is fine with me.

But let's not try to fool anybody with BS about these guys riding anywhere near the speed limits or with enough rest. If you figure the 11 day Ironbutt, 11000 miles at the average national speed limit of 65 mph you have only 8.6 hours per day that you are off the bike. So if you are doing detours then you are guaranteed to be seriously speeding and also being sleep deprived. Only a fool drives when he/she is sleep deprived. Contrary to popular belief caffeine and other stimulants may make you feel awake but your reaction times and judgement still suffer.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post

But let's not try to fool anybody with BS about these guys riding anywhere near the speed limits or with enough rest. If you figure the 11 day Ironbutt, 11000 miles at the average national speed limit of 65 mph you have only 8.6 hours per day that you are off the bike. So if you are doing detours then you are guaranteed to be seriously speeding and also being sleep deprived. Only a fool drives when he/she is sleep deprived. Contrary to popular belief caffeine and other stimulants may make you feel awake but your reaction times and judgement still suffer.
You're just a case of protein bars and a time management seminar away from winning the rally!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 AM   #34
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"LR, I know you are an opinionated cuss. But you don't know jack shyt about IBA style riding."

Yeah, you are right. I certainly will never be as smart as you. I don't know 'jack shyt' about sticking a needle in my eye either because I never did it, but somehow have enough sense to figure out that its f&cking stupid, just like IBA riding.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post

Sounds like you don't know 'jack shyt' about IBA style riding either..................or maybe you really do! It's all route planning ok?? Say it all together now.....ROUTE PLANNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Sounds like you don't know 'jack shyt' about IBA style riding either..................or maybe you really do! It's all route planning ok?? Say it all together now.....ROUTE PLANNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My wife does the route planning, makes the B&B reservations, etc, etc.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the guys whose wives or GFs don't like them riding.... but usually NOT! LOL!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #37
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'll give credit where it's due, I'm sure there's a lot of skill and dedication with things like route planning and time management, pushing yourself to the limits, what have you, Just not my cuppa' tea I'm afraid.

I ride for fun and general transportation, I just prefer to be on a bike than in a car 90% of the time. I'm not going to push myself beyond my own envelope though, I think 5 or 600 miles is enough in a day, plenty of time to stop and grap a bite, get a Latte` and visit etc. If IBA type stuff is your trip then fly at it, I'm not going to.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #38
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Poor baby. You really can't handle someone calling you on your ignorance, can you?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Poor baby. You really can't handle someone calling you on your ignorance, can you?
I can handle it, but since you have never done it, you really can't judge, can you? I can't tell if you were born dense or learned it along the way. You can lie, manipulate the facts, and run around end all you like, but at the end of the day the stupid event is a race and the most miles will win. I already proved it by showing that the guy that rode the most miles won in 2007. Period. 1127 miles a day. I will bet you every thing you have that he was speeding and sleep deprived doing it, and that can be easily proven, so if you have anything else besides bullshyt, how about presenting it in a FACTUAL form? Or is that too hard for you?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #40
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

LR, the guys who do that event have trained to do it. You can't imagine it because you've never tried to manage your time and your sleep over the periods involved in a days-long rally. I don't try multi-day rallies because I have sleeping issues (because I'm deaf, light is my alarm clock, and I can't catnap during the day as a result). However, I have become good (probably not expert) at keeping my stops short, so I know how to make time without any great effort. It's easy enough to do 1100 miles a day and still get ample sleep, although it won't always be 8 hours.

One of my friends took 3rd in 2005 and (I think) 4th or 5th last year while doing less than 1K per day. He was leading the event into the last leg in 2005, so his planning was every bit as important as just piling on miles.

You can bluster all you want, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote