Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I don't want to compare it to football, because it is a pointless and futile comparison. Nothing about it is the same. I guess I could compare it to picking oranges, but that too is pointless. Lets compare it to......ummm---long distance motorcycle riding! So some of the best do less that 1000 miles a day? First, 1000 miles a day for 11 days in a row is stupid, pointless, and exhausting. But let's argue your 'points' Here are the top 3 from this year:

1 Martin Leir, BMW R1200GSA, 12,460, 344,122
2 Jim Owen, BMW R1200RT, 11,137, 333,471
3 Brett Donahue, H-D XLH1200R, 11,283, 316,707

Looks like the 'winner' did way more than 1000 miles a day. He did 1132 miles a day for 11 days straight by my calculations. Now if he rode 16 hours a day, which leaves just 8 hours for stops, eating and sleeping, he still has to average better than 70 mph an hour to make those miles. I can bet you anything that you like he was speeding, and sleep deprived while doing it. There is no other way to make that mileage. Period. That is how you win this race, which is what it is. So it isn't about miles and speed? Route planning is all that it is? Then why does the race winner have the most miles? Take a wild guess.

For the height of hypocracy, read this article by Aaron Frank and his 2000 mile Iron Butt ride. He got his certificate pulled by the Iron Butt Association because he told the truth in this article:

2200 Miles on a Motorcycle in 44 Hours - Feature Review - Motorcyclist Online
I had a friend of mine do the Saddle Sore 1000 and he got his shirt and a reprimand for completing it so quickly. But he still got his shirt!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Its all route planning dude. That and speeding your ass off for 22 hours a day!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

If I have to crank out a lot of miles I just eat a bunch of vicodin's...keeps my back from hurting too much

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Its all route planning dude. That and speeding your ass off for 22 hours a day!
Don't forget to take a time management seminar before you go as well!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
For the height of hypocracy, read this article by Aaron Frank and his 2000 mile Iron Butt ride. He got his certificate pulled by the Iron Butt Association because he told the truth in this article:

2200 Miles on a Motorcycle in 44 Hours - Feature Review - Motorcyclist Online
It was almost funny, to tell the truth. Here guys like Ayers wrote about sleep-deprivation, gulping coffee and "other stimulants" - Frank used "Red Bull", and they called it "Performance Enhancement Chemicals".

I was really amused by the pic of him burning his SS2K certificate.

Double-A doesn't need some certificate to prove anything to me - he's a real class act, no questions asked.

Oh yeah - the "Revocation" came some 2-odd years after-the-fact, and some four to six months after it was finally published.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 03-17-2008 at 01:45 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
It was almost funny, to tell the truth. Here guys like Ayers wrote about sleep-deprivation, gulping coffee and "other stimulants" - Frank used "Red Bull", and they called it "Performance Enhancement Chemicals".

I was really amused by the pic of him burning his SS2K certificate.

Double-A doesn't need some certificate to prove anything to me - he's a real class act, no questions asked.

Oh yeah - the "Revocation" came some 2-odd years after-the-fact, and some four to six months after it was finally published.

I think the real story is these guys misrepresent what the whole idea of the Iron Butt is. It's all route planning and time management. Yeah, that's what it is. They call them the 'World's Toughest Riders" on the web site. Maybe they should change it to the 'World's Greatest Route Planners" or "World's Best Time Managers"?? That would be more in the spirit of the event, don't you think??
Old 03-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
I think the real story is these guys misrepresent what the whole idea of the Iron Butt is. It's all route planning and time management. Yeah, that's what it is. They call them the 'World's Toughest Riders" on the web site. Maybe they should change it to the 'World's Greatest Route Planners" or "World's Best Time Managers"?? That would be more in the spirit of the event, don't you think??
LD-Riding still interests me, but I no-longer have the urge to be "legitimatized" by the IBA, if that's what you're trolling for.

I don't need a pin or a patch (or a license-plate bracket) to tell me how "tough" of a rider I am, or how-many miles I can do in a day.

I had all the qual's met for a SS1k, then I just tossed the crap without sending it in, after the Double-A fiasco.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
LD-Riding still interests me, but I no-longer have the urge to be "legitimatized" by the IBA, if that's what you're trolling for.

I don't need a pin or a patch (or a license-plate bracket) to tell me how "tough" of a rider I am, or how-many miles I can do in a day.

I had all the qual's met for a SS1k, then I just tossed the crap without sending it in, after the Double-A fiasco.

Not really trolling for anything. Just telling the truth about an event that is the height of nonsense to try to prove something. I ride long distance alot. I don't need to prove how far I can go or how fast I can do it. I thought the whole point of riding a motorcycle was for enjoyment, not to see how much punishment I can take. I show up for work every day for that pleasure!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #29
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Not really trolling for anything........................ I thought the whole point of riding a motorcycle was for enjoyment, not to see how much punishment I can take. I show up for work every day for that pleasure!
Oh, I know - that was why I gave it the ole

As for the Punishment thing; well, I know a lovely Mistre.... erm, uh, I mean: Damn Right.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #30
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Not really trolling for anything. Just telling the truth about an event that is the height of nonsense to try to prove something.
Hmm. You've never tried a rally with bonuses, have you? Or one of the IBA's "extreme" rides such as a Bun Burner Gold?

Riding 1K is not too hard. Riding 1K in 24 hours (a "saddlesore") is a piece of cake - you need to average only 42 mph over that time to complete a saddlesore ride. A Bun Burner is 1500 miles in 36 hours - same average speed, and most people who do this can even get 6 or 7 hours of sleep in the middle. But one of the extreme rides takes planning and skill. A BB Gold is 1500 miles in 24 hours. You need to average 63 mph for the 24 hours to succeed. It's not at all hard to ride at 65 mph for that time, and it's certainly not illegal. What you need to do, though, is keep your stops short and infrequent. The guys (and women) who do these rides know how to do that, and are able to ride safely throughout.

LR, I know you are an opinionated cuss. But you don't know jack shyt about IBA style riding.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote