Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Against the Wind: A Riders Account of the Incredible Iron Butt Rally (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7511-against-wind-riders-account-incredible-iron-butt-rally.html)

The_AirHawk 03-16-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 180658)
That's right. It isn't a race.

I have not read the book but I would be very surprised if Ayers had described the rally in the same terms used by the article.

I've read it, but from what I 'member - it's not really like the article portrayed. It's been awhile since I read it though - probably a few-hundred books-ago.

I'll have to find it amongst my few-thousand books, and reread it. When I die, some Library is going to inherit a Windfall..........

Buzglyd 03-16-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 180663)
I've read it, but from what I 'member - it's not really like the article portrayed. It's been awhile since I read it though - probably a few-hundred books-ago.

I'll have to find it amongst my few-thousand books, and reread it. When I die, some Library is going to inherit a Windfall..........

Comic books aren't really "books."

The_AirHawk 03-16-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 180665)
Comic books aren't really "books."

You're a funny guy, Buz. If you ever come over, don't let one of those stacks of first-editions fall on you. Hardcovers are heavy..........

Kenneth_Moore 03-16-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

The fewer times you have to stop, and the less time you spend at a stop, the better off you are.

So, how many Butt-sters are out there with catheters and/or astronaut diapers?

sachiwilson 03-16-2008 06:27 PM

None.

There are rumors that a few guys use stadium buddies on the road, but no one I know of has every 'fessed up to doing that.

The_AirHawk 03-16-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 180673)
So, how many Butt-sters are out there with catheters and/or astronaut diapers?

Catheter's a bit too-hard on the prostate, 'specially if'n you don't have a Balzack-bilt seat..........

Use an "Eazy-Leak'r" instead.

Kenneth_Moore 03-16-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 180675)
Catheter's a bit too-hard on the prostate, 'specially if'n you don't have a Balzack-bilt seat..........

Use an "Eazy-Leak'r" instead.

Lord help you if you hit the wrong bump with one...

longride 03-17-2008 05:31 AM

Quote:

That's right. It isn't a race.

People who do the Iron Butt (and similar events) make it very clear that success is due to planning and time management. It's not speed or sleep deprivation. Because the event is not about how far you go, but how many bonus points you get, the trick is to plan a route that you can achieve given the weather and traffic, as well as your own physical abilities. Then of course making quick stops is a huge key. The fewer times you have to stop, and the less time you spend at a stop, the better off you are. I won't ever do a multi-day rally (I know my own limitations) but I can make huge miles without speeding (well, the usual 7-10 mph over) because my gas stops are usually 4 minutes, maybe 7 if I need a pit stop. That's the sort of concentration that makes miles within the time allotted.

I have not read the book but I would be very surprised if Ayers had described the rally in the same terms used by the article.

Well from your description it sure as hell sounds like a race to me. Don't they have winners? They sure do! Here they are:

Iron Butt Rally - 2007 IBR - 2007 IBR - Final Results

Since they have winners and losers then it is a race, pure and simple. You can bullshyt some people, but please don't tell me this isn't a race. They call it a 'rally' so the cops and the Gov don't come down on their asses and shut the thing down. They say all the right things on the website to pass this sham off, but to win you need to speed, sleep deprive, and do plenty of other tricks, because with those tactics anyone can beat anyone else that only uses 'time management' and 'route planning'.

sachiwilson 03-17-2008 05:45 AM

Oh, I dunno, LF. Compare football. You win those games by putting the most points on the board, not by how many yards you gain.

Some of the best Iron Butt competitors do fewer than 1000 miles per day on the 11 day rally, but do better than riders who pack in thousands more miles because they planned a better route. It's not about miles and it's not about speed. Think what you want, but it isn't a race in any definition of the term.

longride 03-17-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 180697)
Oh, I dunno, LF. Compare football. You win those games by putting the most points on the board, not by how many yards you gain.

Some of the best Iron Butt competitors do fewer than 1000 miles per day on the 11 day rally, but do better than riders who pack in thousands more miles because they planned a better route. It's not about miles and it's not about speed. Think what you want, but it isn't a race in any definition of the term.

I don't want to compare it to football, because it is a pointless and futile comparison. Nothing about it is the same. I guess I could compare it to picking oranges, but that too is pointless. Lets compare it to......ummm---long distance motorcycle riding! So some of the best do less that 1000 miles a day? First, 1000 miles a day for 11 days in a row is stupid, pointless, and exhausting. But let's argue your 'points' Here are the top 3 from this year:

1 Martin Leir, BMW R1200GSA, 12,460, 344,122
2 Jim Owen, BMW R1200RT, 11,137, 333,471
3 Brett Donahue, H-D XLH1200R, 11,283, 316,707

Looks like the 'winner' did way more than 1000 miles a day. He did 1132 miles a day for 11 days straight by my calculations. Now if he rode 16 hours a day, which leaves just 8 hours for stops, eating and sleeping, he still has to average better than 70 mph an hour to make those miles. I can bet you anything that you like he was speeding, and sleep deprived while doing it. There is no other way to make that mileage. Period. That is how you win this race, which is what it is. So it isn't about miles and speed? Route planning is all that it is? Then why does the race winner have the most miles? Take a wild guess.

For the height of hypocracy, read this article by Aaron Frank and his 2000 mile Iron Butt ride. He got his certificate pulled by the Iron Butt Association because he told the truth in this article:

2200 Miles on a Motorcycle in 44 Hours - Feature Review - Motorcyclist Online