Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Pirelli Night Dragon Tire Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7484-pirelli-night-dragon-tire-review.html)

Administrator 03-14-2008 11:56 AM

Pirelli Night Dragon Tire Review

Original Article:
Pirelli Night Dragon Tire Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Pirelli Night Dragon Tire Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The_AirHawk 03-14-2008 12:06 PM

WTF is a "Night Dragon"? Is this like the "Night Rod" and the "Nightster" - a tire that's had all the chrome blacked-out on it.....................?

:D

sarnali2 03-14-2008 02:04 PM

Well that's cool, decent performance tires in bias HD sizes are hard to come by, I'll try a set out when my GT501's are toasted. The biggest issue is still going to be the lack of cornering clearance but I can cure that with 12.5 in. Proggessive shocks and a fork re-valve and spring kit. As it is I run out of ground clearance before I run out of tire, still I have scuffed them almost all the way to the edge and ground off an inch or two of steel from the frame and exhaust pipe brace....

seruzawa 03-14-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 180562)
Well that's cool, decent performance tires in bias HD sizes are hard to come by, I'll try a set out when my GT501's are toasted. The biggest issue is still going to be the lack of cornering clearance but I can cure that with 12.5 in. Proggessive shocks and a fork re-valve and spring kit. As it is I run out of ground clearance before I run out of tire, still I have scuffed them almost all the way to the edge and ground off an inch or two of steel from the frame and exhaust pipe brace....

Yeah but it's really gonna be a pain to have to change tires twice a day.

The_AirHawk 03-14-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 180562)
As it is I run out of ground clearance before I run out of tire, still I have scuffed them almost all the way to the edge and ground off an inch or two of steel from the frame and exhaust pipe brace....

It's a Harley - it could use a few pounds shaved-off it...........

macmanjim 03-14-2008 05:06 PM

The article should have said harley davidson tire market, not v-twin. None of those sizes work with my metric v-twin. Oh well. I guess it'll have to be metzlers. Not that it is a bad thing...

ER1B 03-14-2008 06:38 PM

Finally, a good alternative to those horrible Dunlops. I run the Metzlers on mine. Maybe I'll try a set of these next.

xlr8r 03-17-2008 04:03 AM

Still not fast enough

I'd stick with the Metz's, ER1B. These things are still H-rated, I see, not V ...which means they're still not fast enough for the real hot-rod crowd.

sarnali2 03-17-2008 07:17 AM

H rated will work fine for me, most of the time I keep the Dyna under 120.

tvrides 03-17-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ER1B (Post 180587)
Finally, a good alternative to those horrible Dunlops. I run the Metzlers on mine. Maybe I'll try a set of these next.

Which Dunlop tires are you referring to? I've had Dunlop Elite IIs for a decade before switching to Dunlop Elite 3s (both version in bias ply). Bud of mine was running Metzler 880s (rock crushers) before trying the Elite 3s, and won't go back to the 880s.

Given that I'm more into road trips on winding backroads, gas mileage and tire longevity with decent grip takes priority over sticky tires with relatively short lives.