Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Sounds very interesting, and if I were in the market for a brand new commuter bike I'd be interested. But I'm not sure how the price will go over.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Welcome to the devalued US dollar.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Doesn't explain how suzuki is offering more for less. Kawasaki is beating them on pricing too.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I don't think that's it as much as the way they loaded it with high technology. Things like EFI and the advanced suspension push the price on this way up above other 250s and even above some bigger bikes like the GS500 or the DR400.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

That's true. FCR carb for a DZR400 is $500 (not OEM). Toss in some suspension upgrades, and your "Bucks UP".
Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #16
MCRider4Fun
Registered Member

Injector info? The fuel injector is 12 hole, but does anyone have more information on this? Who manufactures it and what their part number is? What is the static flow rate for such a small injector? Any recommendations on other low-flow injectors (e.g. 5 to 10 lbs/hr) that can be used on small engines?
MCRider4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
OhioSteve
Founding Member

My primary form of transportation is a GS500F. I ride rain or shine, eight months a year. Respectfully, I feel that some posters have overooked both the advantages and limitations of this bike as a commuter.

This bike has a tiny fuel tank (2 gal). I have read several owner reports on other websites, and 65mpg is typical for this bike. To be safe, you would need to stop for gas every 100 miles! On my bike, I stop for gas after 200 miles.

This bike also lacks a centerstand, which is very helpful sometimes. A centerstand facilitates fueling the bike and storing it each Winter in the garage.

On the other hand, this bike is fuel-injected. That means cold starts are no problem, and you never need to warm up the machine. My bike takes 90 seconds to warm up even on warm day. If its really cold, I must sit on it for THREE MINUTES before departing. That sucks, especially in the rain.

Several posters have complained about the bike's price. This bike also comes with the Yamaha name, which in my mind means something. They have a great reputation for quality, and you can extend your warranty up to five years. Plus this bike has modern suspension components, brakes, and powertrain. Most commuters have ancient, less efficient, less reliable engines.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

No need for a centerstand on a bike you can pick it up!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #19
SheWolf
Registered Member

This bike is awesome. I own one, it's a 2009 and modded to the nuts. I used to ride sportbikes, sold my 600 to get this one and never looked back. It get incredible fuel mileage, you can ride it on the highway and have lots of snort to pass, with throttle left to spare. I have had 0 problems whatsoever with it, it takes everything I throw at it and begs for more. I'm not gonna complain about a 250 dirtbike that gets 80 mpg and can do 100 mph.
SheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
This bike is awesome. I own one, it's a 2009 and modded to the nuts. I used to ride sportbikes, sold my 600 to get this one and never looked back. It get incredible fuel mileage, you can ride it on the highway and have lots of snort to pass, with throttle left to spare. I have had 0 problems whatsoever with it, it takes everything I throw at it and begs for more. I'm not gonna complain about a 250 dirtbike that gets 80 mpg and can do 100 mph.
I bet it's a blast riding around your B.C. roads!

Did you ever read this shootout?
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...out-87985.html
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote