Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default I Need Your Help

Please read the email below. If you agree with the contents, will you please take a moment to email: bennett.mike.web@flsenate.gov and let him know what you think? If you agree with what this Senator is doing, I'd be interested to hear why. Thanks.

Dear Senator Bennett,

I have recently learned of your proposed legislation to ban children under 12 from riding as passengers on motorcycles or scooters. I am extremely upset about this on a number of levels:

1. Spending time with my 9 year old son is vital to building our family ties. One of the things my son and I have in common is our enjoyment of taking a ride on my motorcycle, usually on Sunday mornings. Your law would take that away from us. Your law would directly harm my family. Your law would make criminals out of Dads enjoying time with their kids; engaged in a perfectly legal and safe activity.

2. Your law unfairly discriminates against motorcyclists and their sport. Father and sons, parents and children, engage in countless activities that could easily be considered "dangerous" or an unecessary risk by others. Are you considering legislation to ban parents from taking their kids hunting? Surely having a child around firearms in use is easily as dangerous as riding a motorcycle. What about banning kids from going on their parent's fishing boat on the open ocean? I could go on and on, but the point is: once you start trying to legislate common sense and parenting skills to this degree, you begin moving down a slippery slope that has no end.

3. This is yet another needless governement intrusion into the American family. Taking away the rights and responsibilities of parents and their control of their children smacks of communism or similar totalitarian government types. It doesn't take much of a history scholar to know that taking the family apart and taking control of children has always been a tactic of totalitarian regimes. Seeing legislation like this from a Republican is particularly galling, as conservative Republicans have always been staunch supporters of the rights of families and the individual over the rights of the government. I am shocked that you would propose legislation that strikes at these core Republican values.

I call upon you to put yourself in the shoes of the thousands of responsible adult motorcyclists who enjoy motorcycling with their kids. I urge you to consider the long standing values and principles of the Republican Party that have always put the rights of the family and parents above needless government intrusion.

I've been a motorcyclist for over 35 years here in the State of Florida. Perhaps you have some insight that escapes me on why this draconian legislation is called for now. I look forward to your response.

Regards,
Kenneth Moore

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm not in agreement with this particular law, but anyone that is for helmet laws and seat belt laws should agree with this one 100%. As soon as you gave and inch, they are going to take a mile. Everyone that agreed with them with a nod and a smile to the moronic personal safety laws that now exist tells these idiots that they know what is best for you. So by natural extension, if they know what is best for you, then they would certainly know what is best for your family. If keeping you safe is their right, then keeping your family safe is their right also. I'll write this clown for sure. Count on it.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Ken,

Putting fingers to keys right after I post this'n...

What IS it about you Southern Florida people!?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Ken,

Putting fingers to keys right after I post this'n...

What IS it about you Southern Florida people!?
And the funny thing is: Florida, and especially South Florida, has been Republican controlled for decades! I just don't get it...

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Ummmmmm.

I don't live in Fla. Legislators ignore e-mails that don't come from constituents anyhow. I was told this by a legislator. Their staff delete them and the legislators never see them.

But longride is right. This is just the next step towards a total motorcycle ban in the name of protecting you from yourself so you should embrace it. After all it's for your own good. It'll save Joe Sixpack money too because with reduce medical costs the insurance companies will lower rates and the govt will naturally lower taxes like they always do.

Besides, it's for the chilluns. And it might save just one life so it's worth it.

Maybe you should just hope that it doesn't pass.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

I think this is a trend for lawmakers. I believe that they tried to do something similar in a few mid-west states, CA, and Texas. They have a tabled bill in GA that looks the same, as well.

Ken- I'm with you on this. My daughter is 10yo and we ride together. I won't do very long trips but we ride, nonetheless. One of our favorite things to do is me picking her up from school. She puts on the cool Micky Mouse leather jacket and the full face helmet w/ cool tinted sceen and off we go. The other kids just sit there with their little jaws hanging open. It's pretty cute.

Anyway, her riding with me allows for great father-daughter time and that is something I don't want to give it up. Soldier on- it's worth it.
Kirk
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
I think this is a trend for lawmakers. I believe that they tried to do something similar in a few mid-west states, CA, and Texas. They have a tabled bill in GA that looks the same, as well.
Arkansas has one "on the books", I believe the minimum passenger-age is 7 or 8 (and just how they determine this, I don't know - ask the kid for his I.D.?).

It wasn't in response to anything, some "fixer" saw this Evil Thing some Citizens foist-upon their Innocent Children, and decided it Must Be Stopped.

I also believe they're considering a bill that would have Criminal Charges for anyone allowing a similar-aged child to operate any motorized vehicle (like a mini-bike, scooter, 4-wheeler, battery-powered Barbie Bigfoot rider......). It won't matter if it's on private property, and the child is under supervision - you're caught having fun with your kids, you go to Jail for Reckless Endangerment.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Just checked the Honorable Senator's site. He's ex-navy ('63 -'67), four times in Vietnam.

An Electrical Contractor, he enjoys fishing and golf.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
ejis
Founding Member

You've completely ignored another possibility. The oil companies are clearly behind this, and every other law proposed to limit motorcyclist freedom. By limiting the manner in which a motorcycle can be used, the obvious result is more miles in a car - and more gas used.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you. Just like how the oil companies killed the electric car. And the 100 mpg carburetor.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

They killed the guy that could make your car run on tap water too. Those b@stards! It's a Bush plot I tell you!