Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #41
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You used the word 'paradigm'. Middle-Management soon in your future.....
I'm one of them pointy-headed suewado-intalectulls.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #42
CTCruiser
Registered Member

Quote:
Paging Honda Motorcycle Company....

Competition for the Rune has arrived.

LMAO

I had a feeling that Rob Report was just a fluff piece
CTCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #43
CTCruiser
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4488 View Post
Christian Travert told me that Harley and Buell had no input in the design of the V-REX. He decided to use a Harley engine because Harley has a program whereby OEMs can acquire Harley engines. He also wanted to build a bike that could be serviced at a Harley-Davidson dealer.

Travert has not shared with me where the castings come from. I do know that it took several months to find a vendor that could produce the big aluminum casting in the middle of the bike that includes the gas tank.

The wiring harness, foot controls, hand controls and engine are V-ROD components. The front brakes are Buell. I don't know what the back brakes are off of.

The front and rear shocks were done by a guy from France who consults for Ohlins.

The bike has a chain drive jackshaft, a belt final drive (to keep the engine in the middle of the bike) and the same final drive gear ratio as a standard V-ROD. I have had the bike to 130 mph and there was more left. I couldn't go faster because the wind blows your feet off the pegs because your legs are out in front of you.

Travertson is currently working on a new motorcycle that should be out in a year or so. They won't tell me what it is. They do say that it is a Tim Cameron design that no one has seen and that it is very fast. Based on Christian Travert's reputation and my own experiences with the V-REX, I have already placed an order for the new bike and have been promised the first production machine. I'm sure Kevin Duke and I will enjoy the new bike when it comes out...

jack

You placed an order for a bike and you don't even know what it is? Man that's faith.
CTCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Heck.

Quote:
Christian Travert told me that Harley and Buell had no input in the design of the V-REX. He decided to use a Harley engine because Harley has a program whereby OEMs can acquire Harley engines. He also wanted to build a bike that could be serviced at a Harley-Davidson dealer.

Travert has not shared with me where the castings come from. I do know that it took several months to find a vendor that could produce the big aluminum casting in the middle of the bike that includes the gas tank.

The wiring harness, foot controls, hand controls and engine are V-ROD components. The front brakes are Buell. I don't know what the back brakes are off of.

The front and rear shocks were done by a guy from France who consults for Ohlins.

The bike has a chain drive jackshaft, a belt final drive (to keep the engine in the middle of the bike) and the same final drive gear ratio as a standard V-ROD. I have had the bike to 130 mph and there was more left. I couldn't go faster because the wind blows your feet off the pegs because your legs are out in front of you.

Travertson is currently working on a new motorcycle that should be out in a year or so. They won't tell me what it is. They do say that it is a Tim Cameron design that no one has seen and that it is very fast. Based on Christian Travert's reputation and my own experiences with the V-REX, I have already placed an order for the new bike and have been promised the first production machine. I'm sure Kevin Duke and I will enjoy the new bike when it comes out...

jack
I'd bet I'd enjoy it too. As long as I didn't have to pay for it. After you take delivery longride and I will be glad to test it for you and make sure it operates properly. Just for your benefit. No charge.

LOL!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #45
jr4488
Registered Member

Quote:
You used the word 'paradigm'. Middle-Management soon in your future.

No matter how I planned a ride in Utah there's no way that thing would survive it's lack of ground clearance. There simply aren't any roads that wouldn't play hell with it's undercarriage. Who wants to ride a bike you had to 'plan' that much for where you are going anyhow?

Now if I had 40K to spend on bikes I'd end up with 8-10.But if people like these things and want to belly up and pay for them who am I to rain on their parade? Go for it. I'm sure I'll see them the next time I'm at Spider's Biker Bar. Maybe next century......
I think the situation with the ground clearance is overstated. I've ridden the bike in the Santa Monica Mountains twice on my way to the Rock Store. I've ridden the bike a dozen times over Ortega Highway on my way to Hell's Kitchen. No problem. I'm sure I could ride the bike on the public roads in Utah and also have no problem.

Travertson called me on the phone this week and said they were going to send me a new rear shock for the V-REX. "What for?" I asked. "More ground clearance," they said. I said, "I like the bike the way it is. Send the shock to someone who is asking for one..."

jack
jr4488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #46
jr4488
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCruiser View Post
LMAO

I had a feeling that Rob Report was just a fluff piece
A fluff piece? The Rob Report is the only magazine so far that has taken the time to visit and interview Christian Travert in an effort to understand the V-REX.

All of the other magazine testers have simply ridden the bike, taken a few pictures, complained about ground clearance and picked up their paycheck. It's all in a days work for them.

The Rob Report understands that the V-REX is the product of a design genius and an engineering genius passionately working together to create something that is beyond what has ever been produced before. The fact that the bike is in production and can be had for $40k is unfathomable.

I'm 47 and have been a motorcycle enthusiast my whole life. I have never seen or ridden anything like this before. The V-REX is a once in a lifetime occurrence that happened because of a chance meeting on the Internet between two geniuses. It's as simple as that.

Early every Saturday morning, there is a gathering of exotic and custom cars at the Ford Tech Center in Southern California. The latest in automotive design and engineering is always there. I rode up and parked the V-REX between a $700k Lamborghini and a Porsche GT. The cars simply disappear next to the V-REX. I'd say the V-REX is $40k well spent...

jack
Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
I'd bet I'd enjoy it too. As long as I didn't have to pay for it. After you take delivery longride and I will be glad to test it for you and make sure it operates properly. Just for your benefit. No charge.

LOL!
Hell yeah, we will ride it. Buy it for 40K? Ummmmmm......No thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #48
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
A fluff piece? The Rob Report is the only magazine so far that has taken the time to visit and interview Christian Travert in an effort to understand the V-REX.

All of the other magazine testers have simply ridden the bike, taken a few pictures, complained about ground clearance and picked up their paycheck. It's all in a days work for them.
jack
Hey now! I did an interview with Travert, too, even if it was simply by email. Be nice to MO, Jack!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #49
jr4488
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Hey now! I did an interview with Travert, too, even if it was simply by email. Be nice to MO, Jack!
Sorry Kevin. I just got a little carried away ;^)

jack
Old 02-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #50
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I thought the Victory Vision was the ugliest POS I ever saw from it's photos, and then found it wasn't half bad looking in real life. Maybe this one will be the same way. Anybody know if it's going to be appearing at Bike Week?