Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   K&P Engineerings Reusable Oil Filter (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7200)

The_AirHawk 02-01-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 178159)
Is that the one with the rolling burnout protection guarantee??

Yes, the synthetic-aluminium housing is guaranteed for life............

seruzawa 02-01-2008 10:07 AM

I don't.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 178210)
"The local dump has a free toxic disposal site for residents."

Makes you wonder where they put it, doesn't it?

... wonder about those things. I've done my part for God, Country, the Environment, Algore, Rachel Carson and Thomas Malthus. The fact that recycling many things causes more pollution than just throwing them away is immaterial. Don't you understand anything about religion? Just do what you're told and shut up.

sfcdjevans 02-01-2008 10:17 AM

Rachel Carson? I haven't heard that in a while. Haz Waste, the #1 import to mainland China, just pile it over there next to where the slav, uh workers live you reformed commie bastard now ruthless worker exploiting capitalist pig.

Kevin_Duke 02-01-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 178206)
The local dump has a free toxic disposal site for residents...

In my neighborhood we dispose of our residents in graveyards.

seruzawa 02-01-2008 10:57 AM

That's what they want you to believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 178222)

Haven't you ever heard of...... Soylent Green!

pushrod 02-01-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 178222)

And that, folks, is a pithy comment from our resident expert and site poo-bah!

jtherkel 02-02-2008 06:12 PM

K&P article sounds like an ad

Does anyone else find that this article sounds like an ad? The article contains numerous claims, backed up only by engineers at K&P. The article says:

* K&P's 35 micron rating is better than other filters' 5 micron rating
* The filter has a better flow rate than the competition
* A few ribs on the filter housing reduce oil temps

This all might be true, or not, but there's not a single quote from a competitor or an independent oil expert. To remove the hype from articles like this, I would expect Motorcycle.com to do one of the following:

* Get opinions from experts.

* Do the hard work and perform some testing. "We compared the filter to stock and noticed oil temperatures decreased 3 degrees" (or whatever).

* Or give some context to the manufacturer's claims without endorsing them as fact. This article could have been written as, "Here's a cool product that claims to do X, Y and Z. Make your own decisions."

-John
'98 VFR800
'99 SV650
'70 El Camino

sfcdjevans 02-02-2008 06:54 PM

The only thing that I can address is the reference to "absolute" rated filters. This is a big deal with Catepillar fuel systems. They make a big point about how the standards on filter are so different particularly the difference between "nominal" and "absolute" ratings. This part of the article is spot on. Nominal filters in fuel systems is penny wise and pound foolish, IMHO.

Golgo13 02-08-2008 07:39 PM

This is indeed a pretty poor article. It pretty much reads like the manufacturer's press notes were just re-written.

Did anyone on the staff actually run one of these in there bike for any real length of time? There doesn't seem like much point of reviewing a reusable oil filter if you are going to do a long-run test of it in a high mileage bike. If you don't run it you can't tell how (or if) it works and what it is like to even go about cleaning it a few times a year and actually reuse it.

I'm not asking for some sort of old filter shoot-out with a full set of scientific controls in place, just a little bit of integrity.