Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
bui42856
Registered Member

Arrow Mileage Radius

Hey,
I recently trashed my bike and I'm going to be in the market for a new one soon. Here's the catch it has to be a 650cc and im focused more on the actual travelling range of the bike (miles per tank) than anything else.

Now I understand that riding style and engine size has the biggest impact on economy. This being said Im a commuter (i dont like riding too fast but i also want to leave cars in the dust off the line.) that likes 650ccs (personal preference). the longer i can travel before filling up again is my next priority.

Thanks for reading,
Fudge
bui42856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

What, not 600 cc?? 650 sure limits your choices.

To be frank, most stock bikes in that size are going to give you a range of 150-200 miles, depending on tank and wind. I don't know of any that stand out particularly. How much mileage do you need, and why?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Suzuki SV650 or DL650, depending on your personal tastes. If you like Thumpers and a bit more offroad-capable-bike, the Kawasaki KLR650 has (IIRC) larger aftermarket tanks available, with capacities in the near-300mile range.

All three are excellent bikes, with varying-degrees of utility and sportiness, with the SV being the "hotrod" of the bunch.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Do like the guy I met at the Grand Canyon. Buy the BMW 650 and have a 12 gallon tank installed. That'll get you 600 miles per tankful.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

If you don't mind ugly, the DL650 is probably your best bet. The wee-strom is a great distance and mileage bike. If you want something more sporty then that check the Ducati 620-695 Monsters out. Clean 620s can be found for the middle $3000 range. Or the Kawi Ninja 650- brakes are a little "wooden" compared to the Suz SV but still a great little ride. BMW F650GS/CS models if your're into singles. If your budget works at a higher level look at the BMW F800 series. Little larger motor but should net 50 highway miles easily. Got your work cut out for you. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Get an XR650L with a 7 gallon Acerbis Dakar fuel cell and 2 gallon saddle tanks. Yu can commute for a month on that.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
12er
Founding Member

Screw it, buy the GS adventure with the 8.1 gal tank. When i broke in my old KLR 650 I got 270 on a tank, after breaking it in and mods I would get about 170. Freeway stents on a thumper will eat some gas as you have to have your hand in it to keep up with traffic. Buells seem to get the best milage but then have the fuel in frame limitation. Other than the GS and Dakar'n out a dual sport your going to be stopping for fuel no matter what you buy.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
bbtowns
Founding Member

I think a DL650 Wee-Strom gets at least 267 miles per tank, that's about what I get on my DL1000 as well, though that's dead empty. The 6.1 gal tank on the KLR helps quite a bit, but if it's stopping for fuel you are trying to avoid, perhaps you need to look into a fuel cell. If you keep the speeds down on the KLR you can exceed 300 miles in a tank, but once you start running at 70 mph+ that's going to be down to 240. I've yet to drag mine down to 170 as 12er has, but perhaps a stage 3 jet kit would get me there (I'm running stage 1 with Supertrap exhaust and K&N filter).
Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Screw it, buy the GS adventure with the 8.1 gal tank.

<snipperz>

Other than the GS and Dakar'n out a dual sport your going to be stopping for fuel no matter what you buy.
That Supertanker-belittling GS CAN be run-out of gas. I have a friend that's done-so.

Twice............

(I guess he just kept goin' an' goin' for so long - he "forgot to fill-up" when the blinkin' light came on!)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote