Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Honda CBR1000RR Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7189-2008-honda-cbr1000rr-review.html)

Administrator 01-29-2008 02:51 PM

2008 Honda CBR1000RR Review

Original Article:
2008 Honda CBR1000RR Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Honda CBR1000RR Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

acecycleins 01-29-2008 02:55 PM

Looking at all the data and reviews of modern litre bikes I would have to conclude that the CBR finally made it to the top of the heap. If I were in the market for a new sportbike this would be it. However, at 6 ft and 260lbs, I am not built for todays modern sportbike. Guess I'll wait 'til I can find a K1200s in the same price range but aged nicely.

sfcdjevans 01-29-2008 03:51 PM

Wow more better. Who was looking for that 0.002% increase? Now to find some risers, lower the pegs and some hard bags :), just kidding. I'm not in the market either, but it is neat.

Buzglyd 01-29-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 177950)
Looking at all the data and reviews of modern litre bikes I would have to conclude that the CBR finally made it to the top of the heap. If I were in the market for a new sportbike this would be it. However, at 6 ft and 260lbs, I am not built for todays modern sportbike. Guess I'll wait 'til I can find a K1200s in the same price range but aged nicely.

At 6' 260, you can't really blame it on the bike, bro. Mix in a salad or two.

Of course you do live in the south, even the lettuce is fried there! ;-)

The_AirHawk 01-29-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

"Ever since the Ducati 916 debuted in 1994, routing an exhaust system underneath a seat was seen as the coolest way to do it. It left the rear wheel nicely exposed, and it forever prevented ground clearance issues with mufflers. Eventually, all the Japanese OEMs except Suzuki tried this arrangement on various sportbike models.

Meanwhile, about the time of the Ducati’s unveiling,
rik Buell was developing Harley-engined sportbikes with their mufflers mounted under their engines. How odd, we all thought.

Well, Mr. Buell must have several “I-told-you-so” moments in the past few years. Variations on the under-engine exhaust theme have been riffed on by Yamaha, Suzuki and now Honda.
Re-he-he-ally? You absotively sure 'bout dat? :confused:

http://www.hawkgt.com/photoalbum/alb.../Hawk1-med.jpg

It's been repainted, but I seem to recall that'n bein' an '88.........

:cool:

On a happy note: Real Damn Good article, I'm really enjoying the Vids you guys are including with these.

Good Job!

sachiwilson 01-29-2008 05:35 PM

That doesn't look like a stock Hawk exhaust to me.

The_AirHawk 01-29-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 177960)
That doesn't look like a stock Hawk exhaust to me.

How many stock or otherwise Hawks have you seen? Would you like more photos? I've a NOS (not "NAWZ", you jokers!) exhaust-canister sitting in my Office at home.

That's a stocker (the exhaust). I'll stand on that.

sachiwilson 01-29-2008 05:59 PM

Quite a few, actually. Two of my friends own them right now.

The_AirHawk 01-29-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 177965)
Quite a few, actually. Two of my friends own them right now.

Literally, dozens of my friends own them. On two Continents. Right now. (and more owned them in the past)

Also, I have four of them: some stock, some not.

I still stand on the statement that the photo depicts a stock HawkGT exhaust.

sachiwilson 01-29-2008 06:41 PM

I checked. You are right. The ones I have seen recently have aftermarket exhausts.