Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Default Any thoughts on BMW.

I was looking for any opinions or thoughts on BMWs 650 singles. I really like the look of the Xcountry but I really don't know anything about them. They do seem pricey, but are they worth the extra money?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

The motor is a spin-off of a Rotax design. Bullet-proof. It's going to be a fine bike. Worth the money? Depends- if you're looking for dependable low cost, low re-sale go KLR. If you're looking long-term and expect decent resale value the BMW will work fine for you. If you buy every other year- KLR. IF you keep what you buy- BMW. See where this is going. Some people don't like BMW because they think they are expensive to maintain. BS- really. OEM parts do cost slightly more than other OEMs but all in all the bike should last longer than the competition- life's a trade off. Long term or short term should be at the top of the list for things to consider. BTW- look for a demo model. You'll get the factory warranty and get the bike for $1500 less in some cases.
Kirk
Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

If the new 650s are using the centralized data bus like the bigger bikes are I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
They do seem pricey, but are they worth the extra money?
Ummmmmmmmm......NO!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

They're nice enough bikes. I've owned a few older ones which were a lot of fun and reliable, the newer ones seem to have some issues I'd rather not contend with. BMW sells a lot of bikes and most owners are pretty rabid about them so I'd buy one if I was in the market and just get the extended warranty, then trade in when that was up..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If the new 650s are using the centralized data bus like the bigger bikes are I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.
Could you explain that one to me? sorry, im not sure i understand what you mean.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Could you explain that one to me? sorry, im not sure i understand what you mean.
He's not a technology geek. Fear of machines taking over the world or some horsesh*t like that.
Computers and bikes are here to stay. Will you encounter a problem because of it? Unlikely- but possible.
Just like modern automobiles the CPU is here to keep an eye on you. Some people don't mind. Others believe it's just something else to fry your bike. You decide which century you want to live in. Me, I have no issues with better biking through electronics. But that's just me.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

BMW's new electronic system while good in theory has left a lot of people stranded with their fuel pumps shut off. It's to be seen is they are solved for 2008.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
newagetwotone
Registered Member

ah well it wont come till summer (heres to hoping) so hopefully there wont be problems like that... i thought about buying in the winter but money and all that... not to mention my little one way road is all a sheet of ice.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

A buddy of mine has an old one, it's like riding a big heavy, slow Honda 100.

Those Rotax motors aren't too good on the street, if the bike doesn't have a cush rear hub btw. My buddy Turbo Al just blew up the transmission (bent a shift fork) on his '92 ATK Enduro. The Rotax mechanic said it was from too much street riding, it's case split time. Ick.