Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I understand your points LR, but I believe there is a difference between football and UFC, or even, to a lesser degree, boxing. Although football can be violent and even disabling, that isn't the sole objective. And although boxing's objective is to physically dominate the opponent, it's carefully structured and has a sense of sportsmanship.

I realize these are shades of gray, but at some point I think a line can be drawn. Your point about the dogs is well taken, at least the bozos who get in the ring choose to do so.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
People love violence. They watch football for that crushing hit. They watch auto racing for the spectacular crashes. They love the UFC and boxing for the classic knockouts. UFC is HUGE with the younger crowd these days. Us old farts aren't into it so much, but that doesn't mean it isn't popular. UFC is bigger than boxing right now. Fighting dogs is different. The dog doesn't get to choose to be in the ring, so that makes it cruel. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head to participate in any violent sport. The guys that do participate love it. I think football is easily the most violent of all sports. Every guy that plays is almost certain to be seriously injured and to eventually end up a cripple, and some of those hits they take are just insane.
The big mystery to me is why MXC isn't more popular than UFC.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

UFC is pretty violent, and meant to be so. There are rules though, so it isn't a street fight. H-D is trying to reach the younger crowd by sponsoring UFC matches. I'm sure it turns people off, but since it isn't illegal, H-D can put their money where they see fit, I guess. I have to admit that I loved violence when I was younger. Fighting was part of my life. I can't even count how many street fights I have been in. I boxed a bit and trained with a friend that was a Karate black belt when he was 17, and got my ass kicked regularly by him, but learned a lot. I loved watching boxing and fighting in general, so I can see the appeal of UFC. I watch it occasionally, but I am not into it very much. At 50, I no longer enjoy those things like I did at 20. MMA fighting isn't so different from the other fighting sports. It is geared to people with short attention spans. Quick and violent.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:04 AM   #14
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

UFC is much different than it used to be. It's gotten so big (and legal in places it used to be illegal) specifically because it has rules. Many fights are won by joint locks and chokes, leading to tap-outs. And while you can kick your opponent in the head, it doesn't happen that often because of the amount of skill your opponent has. So one could argue that boxing is more violent, simply because in boxing you're continually pounding your opponent, while in UFC you could be pounding, wrestling, or a combination of the two. Heck, the stuff they do on WWE is probably more violent and the injuries worse, even if it isn't "real".
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Heck, the stuff they do on WWE is probably more violent and the injuries worse, even if it isn't "real"."

I guess Brock Lesnar is going to find out if that is true, eh?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
UFC is pretty violent, and meant to be so. There are rules though, so it isn't a street fight. H-D is trying to reach the younger crowd by sponsoring UFC matches. I'm sure it turns people off, but since it isn't illegal, H-D can put their money where they see fit, I guess. I have to admit that I loved violence when I was younger. Fighting was part of my life. I can't even count how many street fights I have been in. I boxed a bit and trained with a friend that was a Karate black belt when he was 17, and got my ass kicked regularly by him, but learned a lot. I loved watching boxing and fighting in general, so I can see the appeal of UFC. I watch it occasionally, but I am not into it very much. At 50, I no longer enjoy those things like I did at 20. MMA fighting isn't so different from the other fighting sports. It is geared to people with short attention spans. Quick and violent.
Keep it up and we're going to have a fat,tub of goo in here with a broomstick "standing up to a bully."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Fighting was part of my life. I can't even count how many street fights I have been in.
Me too. I got my a@@ kicked from around age 13 to 17 on a regular basis. Being the only "hippie" with a ponytail in various redneck Southern towns had it's disadvantages. At least my kid is going to do better; some kid at school gave him shirt about being short, he dove in and beat the hell out of him. Now the bullies leave him alone...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #18
vermicious
Registered Member

Great... more trailer-park class attached to motorcycling.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Keep it up and we're going to have a fat,tub of goo in here with a broomstick "standing up to a bully."
The only guy I ever bullied was you buddy!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

And that is a bad thing?