Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   MotorcycleRetorationTheArtofMotion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7156-motorcycleretorationtheartofmotion.html)

Administrator 01-23-2008 01:11 AM

MotorcycleRetorationTheArtofMotion

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//how-to/motorcycle-restoration-the-art-of-motion-3443.html">Motorcycle Restoration The Art of Motion</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Motorcycle Restoration The Art of Motion in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

sarnali2 01-23-2008 08:00 AM

A book on Classic Range Rover restoration would come in handy about now

Kenneth_Moore 01-23-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 177530)
A book on Classic Range Rover restoration would come in handy about now

The editor in chief of Sports and Exotic Automobiles magazine recently purchased a classic Land Rover. He's been writing about it in his monthly blurb. It's good stuff...

pushrod 01-23-2008 10:14 AM

Sarnali2,

One day, when we're drinking beer together, remind me to tell you about the time our EOD team got their RR ('82 model, IIRC) stuck while trying to pull a boat trailer out of the wash. It was low tide, in SW England. Tidal range there is roughly 12 feet.

An "unfortunate outcome."

sarnali2 01-23-2008 10:59 AM

It's a good runner, '89 Range Rover Classic w/ 3.9 alloy V8 and Lucas EFI in Portofino Red. Been in the family since a few years old. My dad used it as a work truck and it's been at the ocean for a few years before I got it so it's mostly dings and corrosion here and there. The brakes and suspension are almost new as are the wheel swivel joints. What I want to do next is the exhaust, the OEM system of mufflers, cats, piping and hangers is around $1200 from British Atlantic Co. from the headers back. After that it's mostly cosmetic oxidized paint, dirty carpets etc. With 200k on it it still runs and drives good and is fun as hell to beat around in.

Kenneth_Moore 01-23-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 177537)
Sarnali2,

One day, when we're drinking beer together, remind me to tell you about the time our EOD team got their RR ('82 model, IIRC) stuck while trying to pull a boat trailer out of the wash. It was low tide, in SW England. Tidal range there is roughly 12 feet.

An "unfortunate outcome."

I got my diesel Isuzu Trooper stuck in a tidal marsh on the West coast of Florida one night out partying and offroading. Left it there and caught a ride back to the hotel. When I came back the high tide had left a ring around the top of the engine compartment. That sucker started, got me home to Cocoa Beach, and promptly died. After replacing the alternator and starter, I ran it for another few years without incident, until the day it threw a rod. That was pulling a giant boat up a steep ramp in the Keys! Sold for a whopping $600!

sarnali2 01-23-2008 12:41 PM

this summer I took my Explorer along the beach from Ocean Shores to Moclips to look at some off shore rock formations, the beach was closed at the Quinault Reservation so we had to turn back, had a great time driving along just out of the surf. Stopped and looked at a dead Sea Lion which had to weigh in at nearly a ton even without the seagulls and crows all over him. Neat stuff, we get back to the motel, open the car door and dam* near feint ! all the flotsom and spray I was driving through had splattered up all over the wheel well, undercarriage and exhaust and baked on, I swear it smelled bad enough to knock the flies off a sh*t wagon ! Off we went to the local car wash and after about $10 worth of quarters managed to get MOST of the smell off..

It wasn't till it started raining good that the smell totally went away.