Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default The Big Chill

Original Article:
The Big Chill

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article The Big Chill in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Those gentlemen should visit the Rounders. They would fit right in!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
mikenomad
Founding Member

The first time you ride a motorcycle on a cold day is a *****.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Supposed to be 4 here tomorrow. Maybe you boys can come on up for a ride. It'll make that 30 seem like 70!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default That ain't nothin...

Try riding a 1970 CB100 from NAS Oceana (Virginia Beach) to Pier 9 in Norfolk on the I61 Expressway in white-out blizzard conditions. I looked like an snowman, with my Bell 120 packed with sleet.

It was either that or miss ships movement. And when we got back from Gitmo, there was my lil' white CB100 waitin' for me, chained to the gdunk machines in the parking lot. Ahh, the sea stories never stop.

Then there was this time I was in Rosie Roads and some girl riding a donkey tried to bum some change off me and well, heh heh..I jes....
Old 01-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
anrajala
Founding Member

After a long scientific study I have developed a solution for the running-out-of-gas problem. I always carry half litre plastic flask of Estonian Saarenmaa heavy duty 80% alc vodka with me. I reckon its strong enough for the Harley to run an extra 40 kms. As a real multi-purpose tool it works wonderfully in all the other awkward situations too.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

There's a fine line between being adventurous and being a Darwin Award Contestant. Fortunately no one got killed so I guess we can give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
After a long scientific study I have developed a solution for the running-out-of-gas problem. I always carry half litre plastic flask of Estonian Saarenmaa heavy duty 80% alc vodka with me. I reckon its strong enough for the Harley to run an extra 40 kms. As a real multi-purpose tool it works wonderfully in all the other awkward situations too.

- cruiz-euro
The only problem is that if you use the Saarenmaa for other awkward situations instead as spare fuel you are likely to wake up at some completely unknown destination.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Citizen_Mike
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Try riding a 1970 CB100 from NAS Oceana (Virginia Beach) to Pier 9 in Norfolk on the I61 Expressway in white-out blizzard conditions. I looked like an snowman, with my Bell 120 packed with sleet.

It was either that or miss ships movement. And when we got back from Gitmo, there was my lil' white CB100 waitin' for me, chained to the gdunk machines in the parking lot. Ahh, the sea stories never stop.

Then there was this time I was in Rosie Roads and some girl riding a donkey tried to bum some change off me and well, heh heh..I jes....
Sounds like a nice, bone-chilling ride right before your "fun in the sun". (BTW, hats off to you and your fellow servicemen. The Lord bless each and every one of you.) You're right that here in GA, SC, and AL the snow is nothing, but the snow melting during the day and refreezing on the road at night is a whole 'nother matter. I've driven (not ridden) at nearly 50 mph in near-blizzard conditions in Spokane and was in no danger of sliding, but that same speed would be suicidal on the roads around here tonight: there's no snow on them, but there are plenty of sheets of ice and lots of trees to hit.
Citizen_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
byeway
Registered Member

A little thought would have revealed the danger of riding in Arctic conditions without arctic gear.

Or do y'all just enjoy pain?
byeway is offline   Reply With Quote