Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   The Big Chill (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7127-big-chill.html)

Administrator 01-18-2008 03:06 PM

The Big Chill

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//events/subfreezing-temps-350-miles-on-bikes-71672.html">The Big Chill</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article The Big Chill in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

sachiwilson 01-18-2008 03:42 PM

Those gentlemen should visit the Rounders. They would fit right in! :)

mikenomad 01-18-2008 05:35 PM

The first time you ride a motorcycle on a cold day is a *****.

longride 01-18-2008 07:06 PM

Supposed to be 4 here tomorrow. Maybe you boys can come on up for a ride. It'll make that 30 seem like 70!

mscuddy 01-18-2008 07:59 PM

That ain't nothin...

Try riding a 1970 CB100 from NAS Oceana (Virginia Beach) to Pier 9 in Norfolk on the I61 Expressway in white-out blizzard conditions. I looked like an snowman, with my Bell 120 packed with sleet.

It was either that or miss ships movement. And when we got back from Gitmo, there was my lil' white CB100 waitin' for me, chained to the gdunk machines in the parking lot. Ahh, the sea stories never stop.

Then there was this time I was in Rosie Roads and some girl riding a donkey tried to bum some change off me and well, heh heh..I jes....

anrajala 01-19-2008 01:31 AM

After a long scientific study I have developed a solution for the running-out-of-gas problem. I always carry half litre plastic flask of Estonian Saarenmaa heavy duty 80% alc vodka with me. I reckon its strong enough for the Harley to run an extra 40 kms. As a real multi-purpose tool it works wonderfully in all the other awkward situations too.

- cruiz-euro

seruzawa 01-19-2008 08:05 AM

There's a fine line between being adventurous and being a Darwin Award Contestant. Fortunately no one got killed so I guess we can give them the benefit of the doubt.

seruzawa 01-19-2008 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrajala (Post 177294)
After a long scientific study I have developed a solution for the running-out-of-gas problem. I always carry half litre plastic flask of Estonian Saarenmaa heavy duty 80% alc vodka with me. I reckon its strong enough for the Harley to run an extra 40 kms. As a real multi-purpose tool it works wonderfully in all the other awkward situations too.

- cruiz-euro

The only problem is that if you use the Saarenmaa for other awkward situations instead as spare fuel you are likely to wake up at some completely unknown destination.

Citizen_Mike 01-19-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 177287)
Try riding a 1970 CB100 from NAS Oceana (Virginia Beach) to Pier 9 in Norfolk on the I61 Expressway in white-out blizzard conditions. I looked like an snowman, with my Bell 120 packed with sleet.

It was either that or miss ships movement. And when we got back from Gitmo, there was my lil' white CB100 waitin' for me, chained to the gdunk machines in the parking lot. Ahh, the sea stories never stop.

Then there was this time I was in Rosie Roads and some girl riding a donkey tried to bum some change off me and well, heh heh..I jes....

Sounds like a nice, bone-chilling ride right before your "fun in the sun". (BTW, hats off to you and your fellow servicemen. The Lord bless each and every one of you.) You're right that here in GA, SC, and AL the snow is nothing, but the snow melting during the day and refreezing on the road at night is a whole 'nother matter. I've driven (not ridden) at nearly 50 mph in near-blizzard conditions in Spokane and was in no danger of sliding, but that same speed would be suicidal on the roads around here tonight: there's no snow on them, but there are plenty of sheets of ice and lots of trees to hit.

byeway 01-20-2008 02:24 PM

A little thought would have revealed the danger of riding in Arctic conditions without arctic gear.

Or do y'all just enjoy pain?