Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Insurance? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7099-insurance.html)

randalseeler 01-15-2008 06:50 AM

Insurance?

Hey guys I'm doing some research on insurance and trying to decide whether or not to get a separate policy or just keep my Ducati on my State Farm policy, I got one recommendation for motorcycle insurance from UMU motorcycle, but their site didn't have a lot of information. Any suggestions/ reviews of UMU Motorcyle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

longride 01-15-2008 07:32 AM

State Farm is #1 in my book.

sarnali2 01-15-2008 09:10 AM

Yeah I'd stay with State Farm, they'll give you a multi vehicle discount for more than one vehicle

mscuddy 01-15-2008 09:52 AM

State Farm? They're great until you get a ticket, then your policy goes into "double secret risk" status. At least it did with me...policy on a 24 year old KZ750 (liability only) went from $250.00 per year to $900.00

tripleripple 01-15-2008 10:04 AM

Insurance?

seruzawa 01-15-2008 10:28 AM

That's....

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripleripple (Post 176968)
Insurance?

... that money you pay Vito each month so your windows (or legs) don't get broken.

acecycleins 01-15-2008 01:09 PM

From the Authority

Unless you're driving record sucks don't make a move, yet. State Farm probably has you in the "old" rater system. Meaning: your rate is based on cc size, age and zip code. Every other insurance company under the sun rates based on bike category (litre sportbikes or better are not your friend). So, until you get a non-renewal notice or they change the rating format on you- STAY PUT!

When things look bleak because you can't talk your way out of tickets then give me a call.

Kirk

maprior 01-15-2008 06:18 PM

I was actually shopping for insurance today. I am currently with State Farm. My agent is actually a friend of mine and said that the multi-vehicle discount does NOT extend to "recreational vehicles." Perhaps she was mistaken, but she did tell me to check out Progressive. Progressive was in fact cheaper. Also, I got a quote from Nationwide which was actually the cheapest. The difference between State Farm & Nationwide is hundreds of dollars! I had to do a double take to make sure I was comparing similar coverage-apples to apples. Another note, State Farm & Progressive said that they do NOT offer a discount for completing the MSF's BRC; Nationwide DOES offer a discount. Lastly, I've been with State Farm for 16 years, and I know that they are good with processing claims. I know nothing of how well Progressive or Nationwide process their claims-maybe you get what you pay for.

The_AirHawk 01-15-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maprior (Post 176992)
I was actually shopping for insurance today. I am currently with State Farm. My agent is actually a friend of mine and said that the multi-vehicle discount does NOT extend to "recreational vehicles." Perhaps she was mistaken, but she did tell me to check out Progressive. Progressive was in fact cheaper. Also, I got a quote from Nationwide which was actually the cheapest. The difference between State Farm & Nationwide is hundreds of dollars! I had to do a double take to make sure I was comparing similar coverage-apples to apples. Another note, State Farm & Progressive said that they do NOT offer a discount for completing the MSF's BRC; Nationwide DOES offer a discount. Lastly, I've been with State Farm for 16 years, and I know that they are good with processing claims. I know nothing of how well Progressive or Nationwide process their claims-maybe you get what you pay for.

Huh? I've got State Farm - none of the bikes I have are listed as "Recreational Vehicles".

Not that Progressive is bad Insurance - I've had it before, they Insure a lot of Motos.

Screw Geico........

acecycleins 01-16-2008 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maprior (Post 176992)

OK- I should have asked before, what Ducati model was our original post riding. What do you ride? That type of thing.
Here is the deal. For sportbikes 1098, 848 and such I'd stay with SF. If you own a Multistrada or ST or Monster then Progressive will not be cheaper, Companies like Dairyland or AMIG or PSIC will be cheaper. SO- to recap- sportbikes are great when rating on cc size like SF but just about every other bike in the known universe will be cheaper through anyone but SF. Sorry- should have asked more questions.
Kirk