Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"SO- to recap- sportbikes are great when rating on cc size like SF but just about every other bike in the known universe will be cheaper through anyone but SF."

Not always true. Nobody else can even touch their rates. I have looked around and State Farm has the best rates hands down. The other comapanies can't even come close.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Guys -- keep in mind that rate settings also differ because of locality. It is quite possible that State Farm may be the best where Longride lives, but not the best elsewhere.

Trying to compare insurance rates and coverage on a forum like this is not all that useful, because unless you live in the same zip code as the person who posed the question, you're likely to give info that doesn't fit.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

"United Marine is an insurance agency, not an insurance company." I asked them for a quote. They quoted me four companies, Progressive, SafeCo, American Modern Insurance Group, and Foremost. Of those, the Progressive quote was the least expensive.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"SO- to recap- sportbikes are great when rating on cc size like SF but just about every other bike in the known universe will be cheaper through anyone but SF."

Not always true. Nobody else can even touch their rates. I have looked around and State Farm has the best rates hands down. The other comapanies can't even come close.
I'll bet you a $25 gift card that if you send me a copy of your dec page within 1 hr I will find at least 2 companies that will write the same coverage for your bikes for less money than you currently pay. One caveat- no litre or better sportbikes- but everything else is one the table. Not only that but the companies will give you multi-bike discounts that SF doesn't do. They will also cover accessories on the bikes that SF doesn't do. They will also give you an option for tow coverage and safety gear coverage- that SF doesn't do. If I'm wrong you tell me what company you want me to go to to get your gift card.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Guys -- keep in mind that rate settings also differ because of locality. It is quite possible that State Farm may be the best where Longride lives, but not the best elsewhere.

Trying to compare insurance rates and coverage on a forum like this is not all that useful, because unless you live in the same zip code as the person who posed the question, you're likely to give info that doesn't fit.
Quite true. When I moved from L.A. to Utah my insurance rates for bikes and cars dropped to 1/4th the L.A. rate.

Another reason to stay away from that place.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
12er
Founding Member

Guess you have to talk to an agent at progressive. Whenever I have done their online quotes it was unbelievably expensive. They awanted $3000 a year for my KLR 650 and $5000 for my K12RS. I paid $238 a year on the KLR and around $600 a year on the BMW. The $600 is through Farmers and is grouped into the house, car and truck policy. Cant remember who I was with on the KLR, some never heard of company. Luckily I didnt need to file a claim.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
Gluge
Registered Member

My fiancee has state farm. About 3 months ago her Subaru WRX was hit when parked and messed up pretty well, broke some suspension stuff and bashed the rear quarter panel up. She went though her insurance gave them all the info of the guy that hit her.

She took it to a shop and it was there for 2 months. They estimated the damage at $8k but they didn't count replacing the wheels. One wheel was destroyed and they don't make those wheels anymore. Insurance is giving us a hard time and refusing to pay for 4 new wheels, they want to try and find a used wheel instead. There's also a crack on the windshield that wasn't there before, state farm doesn't believe us and says it wasn't from the accident.

We finnaly got the car back last week and it's still messed up. The doors aren't aligned very well there's a squeek that wasn't there before and the door that was closest to the impact won't open from the inside.

We complained to the shop about the alignment when we first saw the car. They said they'd work on it we came back a few days latter once they said it was done... still bad just in a new way. I complained again and they said it was as good as it was going to get. WTF? If they can't fix a car correctly shouldn't they total it? I'm not sure what to do now.. we're going to take the car back to an insurance adjuster I guess.

To top it all off the tow truck damaged the nose of the car towing it.

Anyway, after this I'm going to look into putting her on my AAA policy.

I have my bike insurance through AAA - full coverage $360 / year with a $100 deductible. This is for my Aprilia RS250, I think they must still go by the cc method there or it'd be higher with my couple of tickets and only being 26. I was hit by a lady that had progressive and they were very good about taking care of my bike. They cut me a check for $1200 same day. This was after my EX500 was backed into by a SUV while parked.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #18
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

AAA doesn't cover motorcycles in most states. They've done well for me on auto and home insurance, though.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
I'll bet you a $25 gift card that if you send me a copy of your dec page within 1 hr I will find at least 2 companies that will write the same coverage for your bikes for less money than you currently pay. One caveat- no litre or better sportbikes- but everything else is one the table. Not only that but the companies will give you multi-bike discounts that SF doesn't do. They will also cover accessories on the bikes that SF doesn't do. They will also give you an option for tow coverage and safety gear coverage- that SF doesn't do. If I'm wrong you tell me what company you want me to go to to get your gift card.
I'm in. Where do I send you the info?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #20
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
AAA doesn't cover motorcycles in most states. They've done well for me on auto and home insurance, though.
Back when I first started driving AAA jacked their rates 25% and I havent looked back since. Still a member though, maps and tows come in handy.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote