Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Kawasaki Versys Road Test (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7064-2008-kawasaki-versys-road-test.html)

Administrator 01-08-2008 12:21 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys Road Test

Original Article:
2008 Kawasaki Versys Road Test

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Kawasaki Versys Road Test in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

xlr8r 01-08-2008 12:26 PM

Nice article. As you can see, the Versys makes a lot of sense, does a lot of things, and is attractively priced. It makes even more sense in Europe and the UK, where we like trail-styled omnibikes far more than customs. Yet... even though it's been with us for a while now, I don't see many of them about. Or any of them, come to that. Which suggests that there's something about it that just doesn't excite. I haven't had the chance to ride one. Anybody out there who's tried one and can say what the missing ingredient is?

acecycleins 01-08-2008 12:53 PM

Nice write up. The bike, however, is not for me. I read an article on the F800GS recently and concluded that the GS is much more suited to my taste. I know there will be thousands of dollars difference between the two, but in the end there are many fire roads hidden in these North Georgia hills that beg to be explored and money shouldn't be the determining factor here. I believe the GS will be much happier doing the job than the Versys. It doesn't hurt to know that the GS has more power in both the 650 and 800 sizes and will have a much better resale value, too.

Kenneth_Moore 01-08-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8r (Post 176555)
Anybody out there who's tried one and can say what the missing ingredient is?

I was seriously considering this bike versus the V-Strom. What made my mind up was the size, the VerSys is tiny, the V-Strom has the size and road presence I want. Ok, the 1000 cc engine in the Vee was better too, but compared to the Wee, it's tiny.

vermicious 01-08-2008 12:56 PM

Visually it doesn't do much for me. It does seem infinitely practical though.

seruzawa 01-08-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vermicious (Post 176562)
Visually it doesn't do much for me. It does seem infinitely practical though.

It's one of those bikes that looks much better in person than in pictures IMHO.

Kenneth_Moore 01-08-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 176564)
It's one of those bikes that looks much better in person than in pictures IMHO.

Absolutely. It's a cool looking machine.

The_AirHawk 01-08-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 176565)
Absolutely. It's a cool looking machine.

I've looked at this machine in-person, and I think you're mistaken - it looks just as bad as it does in the video/photos (from the front, at least).

Really, my problem is with the headlight - the "formed piece of the fairing" really doesn't do much for me. Kawasaki has been borderline-fugly with most of the headlights of its sport bikes in the last few years.

Now and again, they put on the Dress and Crossover.........

seruzawa 01-08-2008 02:26 PM

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 176567)
I've looked at this machine in-person, and I think you're mistaken - it looks just as bad as it does in the video/photos (from the front, at least).

Really, my problem is with the headlight - the "formed piece of the fairing" really doesn't do much for me. Kawasaki has been borderline-fugly with most of the headlights of its sport bikes in the last few years.

Now and again, they put on the Dress and Crossover.........

You're wrong. If you can't see how sharp this bike looks you must be one of those les..... er, perv..... er, never mind.

sfcdjevans 01-08-2008 03:03 PM

Poor Man's 'Strada?

Other reviewers have had issues with the direct mount shock, as opposed to the use of linkage, ya didn't think I read that book Wilbers put out did you? And what happens if BMW decideds to bring the 650 to the US? Is it far to compare the two considering the price?