Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Kawasaki Versys Road Test (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7064-2008-kawasaki-versys-road-test.html)

The_AirHawk 01-12-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 176800)
Nothing even caught on fire! :D

"Two narrowly escape injury when stove fails to explode"

Where's all the excitement in that? :cool:

sarnali2 01-12-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 176800)
Hey I finally popped in a new pet..errr Fuel valve in the Yammer. I mixed up a new batch of premix and it fired right up.

Nothing even caught on fire! :D

You must have used too much oil

bankerdanny 01-14-2008 04:11 PM

Seems like a nice bike, but the trunk rack should be included (ala the VStrom). The $250 extra for the saddlebag mounts seems a bit steep too.

Time for a Versys/VStrom/Multistrada shootout!

thecroweman 01-18-2008 03:52 PM

There's another windshield option for those of you who may feel that the stock shield and those mentioned in the article seem a bit skimpy:

Kawasaki Versys Windshields

dirt-to-city 01-19-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 176627)
Nice looking bike, I'd get the Vstrom 1000 myself just for the extra grunt.

I have a V-Strom 1000 (5 years) and a Versys (5 months). The Versys is lighter and snappier for running around town, has much better stability and clearance for fast cornering, and has distinctly better roll-on at highway speed (you need to kick the V-Strom down a gear to stay competitive). Ergos are almost identical. I take both on gravel and two-track dirt roads. Except for the V-Strom's greater smoothness at highway speed that comes from its extra weight, the Versys is a better bike in every other way. The V-Strom is going up for sale in the spring.

dirt-to-city 01-19-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewall67 (Post 176793)
I like what this bike is all about and agree more like this are needed in the US (I guess sales really determine what is needed though). Affordable, fun, comfortable, do it all type bike with inexpensive touring accessories. I think it looks good too. I just don't understand why they messed with the engine. For one, if you have to "retune" your twin for more bottom end something is wrong with your original twin. The numbers don't offer any advantage. Compared to the 650R you loose 5hp and 3.5ft lbs of torque just to get the peak numbers a few hundred revs lower in the range? Bad trade off if you ask me.

I haven't ridden the 650R, but the three people I know who have ridden both bikes all say that the Versys kicks the 650R's butt.

sachiwilson 01-19-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirt-to-city (Post 177293)
I haven't ridden the 650R, but the three people I know who have ridden both bikes all say that the Versys kicks the 650R's butt.

Well, uh, why do they say that? Reasons?

obandoj 01-21-2008 08:54 AM

Versys

Good stuff Pete.

sarnali2 01-21-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 177299)
Well, uh, why do they say that? Reasons?

Just because it IS, Gaaah! it's like just BETTER ok? it's like cooler and it has a big shock like RIGHT F'N THERE and it's a Kawasaki and Kawasaki makes like Ninja's that totally RAAACK so that's why it's better DUUUH

vermicious 01-21-2008 10:50 AM

Why press for reasons on anything when you can blindly and blithely parrot the opinions of others? I mean... duh!