Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #51
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritboy View Post
seruzawa, your crack habit is showing.

I've see some GS riders (1150cc+) that can put people to shame on almost any surface and who DO run knobbies both on and off street at serious speeds. No, they can't compete with a light off-road bikes, but don't think they don't use 'em that way. Some V-Strom riders do too, but many BMW guys really do ride them off road... giant ungainly beasts that they are. That's half the fun... conquering the ungainly.
Yeah. They used to race freaking Sportsters off road too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. 'Cause, after all, they suck off road. Like GSes.

But if people want to try to make silk purses out of sows ears, well, be my guest. I welcome people who insist that riding a 600 pound dirt bike is a good idea. Sort of like taking a knife to a gun fight.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #52
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yeah. They used to race freaking Sportsters off road too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. 'Cause, after all, they suck off road. Like GSes.

But if people want to try to make silk purses out of sows ears, well, be my guest. I welcome people who insist that riding a 600 pound dirt bike is a good idea. Sort of like taking a knife to a gun fight.
I discovered long ago that I can use a screwdriver as a hammer, but learned quickly it works much better when I use it as a screwdriver!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #53
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk2 View Post
Questions for Kevin Duke: how does the Versys compare with the Multistrada 620? Also what did you think of the Dunlop tires compared to the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs that the MTS and Tiger use?
I also like the MTS620. It's motor might be even gruntier than the Versys down low, though it's not as strong up top. It might have an edge in handling, too, though probably not in suspension compliance.

The Scorpion Syncs are much better tires than the Dunlops on the Versys. They're stickier and warm quicker, but I think they're also more expensive.

I'd love to do a comparo with the Versys against a new Multistrada 696, which I'd guess we might see in a year or so. We'll ride the new Monster 696 in the next two months.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #54
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:

A better analogy might be "Taking a Musket to Iraq". Sure, you can kill someone with it every minute or so, but how many times will you be shot with some crap-ass, worn-out AK-47 before you can reload?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #55
Gritboy
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
There's a thread over on Stromtrooper.com about pulling the front wheel from an SV and putting it on the DL. It leaves me wondering what that front wheel diameter change would do to the rake, trail, etc., but apparently it's been done.
Schweeeeet. Will check it out see if it's worth doing. Then again, having a DRZ for trail/dirt work and a streetbike for all the tarmac stuff might be more viable.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #56
Gritboy
Founding Member

Quote:
Yeah. They used to race freaking Sportsters off road too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. 'Cause, after all, they suck off road.
He, he. Yeah, but where's your sense of adventure and pain... especially when that 600 pounds of bike crushes your leg on a tip-over in the dirt. The paaaain.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #57
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritboy View Post
He, he. Yeah, but where's your sense of adventure and pain... especially when that 600 pounds of bike crushes your leg on a tip-over in the dirt. The paaaain.
I loaned my sense of adventure to Buz. He needs it for that RD400.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #58
thewall67
Registered Member

I like what this bike is all about and agree more like this are needed in the US (I guess sales really determine what is needed though). Affordable, fun, comfortable, do it all type bike with inexpensive touring accessories. I think it looks good too. I just don't understand why they messed with the engine. For one, if you have to "retune" your twin for more bottom end something is wrong with your original twin. The numbers don't offer any advantage. Compared to the 650R you loose 5hp and 3.5ft lbs of torque just to get the peak numbers a few hundred revs lower in the range? Bad trade off if you ask me.
thewall67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #59
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

You ever take it off any sweet jumps?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #60
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
I loaned my sense of adventure to Buz. He needs it for that RD400.
Hey I finally popped in a new pet..errr Fuel valve in the Yammer. I mixed up a new batch of premix and it fired right up.

Nothing even caught on fire!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote