Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
drummerboybilly
Registered Member

Default Getting a Title from a Certificate of Origin

I bought a Hyosung GT-250. With it came a Certificate of Origin instead of a title. Story goes, a Sheriff bought it and pulled strings to get a tag on it while he rode it. An acquaitance bought it from him and received the CO. Now I own the bike. All I have for it is a CO with no dealer name or dealer number on it. Does anyone have any clue how I can get a title for my bike? Which just so happens to be my only mode of transportation.
drummerboybilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You might as well go straight to the source, and call your state DOT, or equivalent. Tell them what you have, and they'll tell you what to do next.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Where do you live? Was the bike imported from Korea with the proper DOT HS7 & EPA form filled out (box 1A checked, along with the data certified box that says it complies with all applicable USA federal regulaitons?). If that's the case, take it to the local DMV, have it scheduled for an inspection at your local Highay Patrol (or state troopers) office and get your title and tags. If it was imported without any DOT or EPA form you might as well crush it, or make it into a lamp.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
drummerboybilly
Registered Member

I went by the tag office here in my county (Troup, GA) and was told the CO needed a dealer name and number on it. i was told that it was purchased from a dealer just never registered because the sherrif had his connections.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboybilly View Post
I went by the tag office here in my county (Troup, GA) and was told the CO needed a dealer name and number on it. i was told that it was purchased from a dealer just never registered because the sherrif had his connections.
Drive your butt up to Gwinnett County and show up at Hyosungs US Headquarters in Norcross (off Jimmy Carter Blvd) and take them the CO and tell them you need a duplicate MSO so you can get the bike registered. Should take about 10 days for that to show up. Make sure you have a BILL OF SALE completely filled out. If the SO deputy had a tag on it try to get a copy of the registration card and a statement from the SO that he never titled the bike but managed to get the registration for tags. Good Luck!
Kirk
Call me if you need further help 800-571-7433. I deal with similar crap all the time.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

In future don't listen to sellers bull **** story about why they don't have paperwork, remember rule number one...no title or leinholder, personnaly verified by you, equals no deal no matter how good it is. The paperworks HAS to be in order, no out of state lost title can't find but I'll call my brother because I think he has it bull****.....

Either clear title in hand or a loan number that you call yourself and ensure that loan is for that vehicle and no other encumberences or else walk, simple as that.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
In future don't listen to sellers bull **** story about why they don't have paperwork, remember rule number one...no title or leinholder, personnaly verified by you, equals no deal no matter how good it is. The paperworks HAS to be in order, no out of state lost title can't find but I'll call my brother because I think he has it bull****.....

Either clear title in hand or a loan number that you call yourself and ensure that loan is for that vehicle and no other encumberences or else walk, simple as that.
Two clear titles in hand is even better!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Two clear titles in hand is even better!
HE NO TAKE MY SEMINAR!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
drummerboybilly
Registered Member

yeah i learned now on buying vehicles. this was my first vehicle purchase and i didn't have a ride so i was real excited. hopefully i will be able to go to a hyosung dealer and get something done. the way it seems, i can get a hyosung dealer to say they sold it to me by putting their numbers and names on the CO. we'll have to see.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Good luck with that!